Post # 1
Sorry, yes another Zika post. ( I deleted my previous thread as I realised I had posted this on the wrong board)
My fiance and I (he will be nearly 27 and I will be 25 when we wed) will be getting married March this year and will be travelling to Thailand (Bangkok in the Siam area) and Europe for our honeymoon. We are concerned about Thailand because I have read there has been some cases of Zika there. We were planning to start TTC on the honeymoon, but now are thinking we might have to delay. I have looked into cancelling the Thailand part of our trip, but unfortunately we are unable to without cancelling our tickets (and very possibly losing approx $4k). The travel agents have been a bit condescending and patronising when I mention concerns, which is annoying. I have booked into see a travel doctor for advice, but just wondering what fellow Bees think?
We were pretty keen to start trying, but are okay with delaying a couple months if that is the safe option. I realise that we are younger so have the luxury of time. Alternatively, would it be safe to start trying once we move onto Europe if neither of us get any mosquito bites? We are planning to use a lot of mosquito repellant, suitable clothing, staying away from rivers and water, using the flyscreens and aircon etc.
Post # 2
Fiance and I are going to Koh Samui in April, and my doctor recommended not TTC until six months after we get back (which fortunately fits our timeline). The risk is not massive in Thailand but it does exist. I definitely recommend a consultation with a travel doctor.
Post # 3
I would significantly delay TTC, or cancel Thailand. I am skeptical of how much doctor’s know about Zika and how long a safe period is to TTC after. Losing a bit of money doesn’t really compare to the risk of a child having microcephaly.
Post # 4
- Wedding: June 2014 - DD born 2015 DS born 2017
My husband recently went on a 3-day business trip to Vietnam and try as he might despite all precautions he was bitten once and now we are using a condom since I’m pregnant. This time there are two of you that need to be very careful. If you’re lucky and don’t get bitten then there’s no reason not to start ttc in Eurpoe, but if you are bitten I’d wait the recommended 6 months. You’re both young, there’s no panic to conceive, enjoy your lives and fingers crossed you don’t get bitten but if you do it’s not the end of the world!
Post # 5
I hear Koh Samui is gorgeous, I hope you have a great trip. It’s good your doctor was helpful. It seems like here in Australia (I dont live in a capital city too) people aren’t as informed about Zika, so I am hopeful my doctor will be able to advise. Would you TTC earlier if you knew you hadn’t been bitten?
I feel the same, that there is a lot not known about Zika, especially here in Australia. How much would you delay by? We would be losing around $3600 on our tickets, and have to by another set of tickets, approx $3500-4000 which we can’t really afford 🙁 so I think we will have to delay which is a bummer, but I think it is in the best interest of us and our future child.
Thank you, that’s a great way of looking at it! I think that is what we will do, and if we are bitten, it is an excuse to save up some extra money and maybe go snowboarding before I get pregnant, so it is not all bad! Very hard to avoid getting bitten, sneaky little things! Congratulations on your pregnancy
Post # 6
The CDC mentions waiting 6 months +, and I personally would double that at least to a year.
I understand that’s a lot of money, but if you spent it, it’s gone whether you go to Thailand or not.
Either way, best of luck and enjoy your honeymoon!
Post # 8
happyhappywife : raspberry92 :
I believe the current research has found that Zika can be active in sperm for up to 3 months, which is why the recommendation is currently 6 months to provide a safe buffer. Unless your doctor says so, I would not think that waiting a year is necessary
Post # 9
Yes, as I have read from the CDC:
CDC recommends that men with possible Zika virus exposure, regardless of symptom status, wait at least 6 months from symptom onset (if symptomatic) or last possible exposure (if asymptomatic) before attempting conception with their partner. They should also wait at least 6 months before having condomless sex to minimize their risk for sexual transmission of Zika virus to partners.
I said in my earlier post that I’m skeptical of how much they know about Zika and would personally play it safe or avoid all together. But yes, at least 6 months is necessary.
Post # 10
I think it’s important for everyone to do their research and make the decision they feel most comfortable with.
I’m currently TTC and leave for Mexico next week. My DH has a job that keeps him continually traveling internationally for extended periods of time in Central America, Mexico, the Carribean, etc. Unfortunately, if we were to go by the CDC guidelines we would literally NEVER be in the clear to TTC. He’s in one of those places almost every month. Even when he’s “home” for extended periods of time she still has periodic quick trips to those places.
Most of our mutual friends have DH’s in the same profession as mine and are all currently experiencing healthy pregnancies and births. My SIL just had her baby a few months ago, and her DH is on pretty much the same travel schedule as mine. Now that doesn’t mean I don’t think issues *can’t* happen, but my DH’s job isn’t going to change. I too travel to a lot of these places pretty consistantly in the 17 years we’ve been together and I’ve done a lot of research about Zika. When the hype first started I was 100% scared about it and what it would do to our TTC. I personally have come to a decision I feel ok with, and that’s to continue forward with TTC rather than never have children.
Post # 11
I would wait at least 6 months, if I were you. The chances are slim of anything going wrong, but you would never forgive yourself if they did!
I recently turned down a free vacation to Miami because we’re starting to TTC, and the risk just wasn’t worth it to me! (Though I was VERY sad to turn down the trip!!!!)
Post # 12
Wait six months. You’re young, and the health of your baby matters more than having to wait 6 months to TTC after the trip of a lifetime. Just think of it this way, you’ll have at least six months to enjoy being married without being pregnant. And as someone who is currently pregnant, that sounds wonderful to me!
Post # 13
I really appreciate your rationale. My fiancé and I are getting married the first weekend of July and plan to go on a honeymoon immediately for the remainder of the month. We’re planning on doing two weeks in Thailand and one week in Jamaica. I don’t believe the risk in Thailand is as nearly as great as it is in the Caribbean. I haven’t checked the CDC website in over a month, so that definitely could have changed. I will be 31 and he 38 years when we get married. We’ve decided that we do want to start trying immediately. We’re based in the US. With all these tropical destination having some form of Zika virus, it’s like well where does one go for a honeymoon?
Post # 14
Go on your honeymoon, don’t throw away $4,000 and the trip of a lifetime prior to having kids just to start TTC 6 months earlier. And then follow the doctor’s orders and wait six months to TTC. I know that just b/c you are young doesn’t mean you are not just as excited as an older couple for a baby RIGHT NOW. But its pretty much a fact that you have the luxury of waiting six more months to start TTC.
Post # 15
Hawaii, Spain, Greece… or wait 6 months. Seems like a silly risk to take 🙁