Post # 1
Here is my pickle: I am 34, soon to be 35 (DH is 40). Live in NYC. I got married in June 2015 and we have been TTC since then. Seeing an RE next Friday Jan 22. Helathcare through my DH.
Current job: Started in March 2014 (knowing we were getting married and going to start a family in a year or two). Offers flexible hours, pretty low-stress and a 8:30-4:30 work day with a paid lunch hour. Overtime over 40 hours, 1.5X pay rate. I was able to sign up for STD with Aflac and will get 3mo of salary when I go on disability (whcih includes leave for pregnancy). I can take this policy with me wherever I go, since I keep paying for it. My company also offers 2 months paid maternity leave, with the option of adding an additional 2 months at half pay. THIS is why I took this job (previous company worked me to death and didn’t have any leave). 401K plan, used to have a 4% match, but it has been suspended. 3 weeks paid vacation and 7 sick/personal. Small company, 22 employees. 20min commute via subway to home
Job Offer: I was offered this job in June, just after I came back from my honeymoon and turned it down because of the possibility of pregnancy in the (what I thought was) near future. 5% pay bump over my current salary, no overtime. Half-day Fridays year-round. Just started a 401K or Simple IRA plan. Not sure of the match, I think 3%. 2 weeks paid vacation and closed Christmas-New Years. Maybe 5 days sick/personal? I’m trying to remember the details…. Samll company, 4-5 employees. Positive there is no paid maternity leave, but I do have the Aflac policy. If I wanted to be on their health plan it would be 100% covered, but I’m 95% sure the one I’m on (through DH) is better anyway. 40 min commute to sumway from home. Slightly better job title.
The owner of the company that solicited me for the job offer in June just emailed me yesterday to say they lost a person recently and would I reconsider his offer? I tried to negoiate the pay raise up to 10% bump back in June and was told the 5% was the highest they could go.
Should I even entertain this offer? I turned it down orignally due to the lack of mat leave and it wasn’t enough of a pay bump to make me move….
To complicate matters DH and I have just started discussing moving up to New England, where I grew up. We still have to find jobs and make the move, but talking about a 1-2 year timeline for that.
Post your thoughts below!
Post # 2
Unless you work very little OT, a 5% increase with no OT may actaully have you earning less money per year. Is the job itself more appealing to you? Or is it about the same? If the job is more exciting then I’d consider it, but if not I really don’t see any upside to moving on.
Post # 3
Which job offers better long term contacts and job satisfaction? I personally wouldn’t leave a job I liked unless the pay bump was >10-15% and/or the lifestyle would be significantly better. I know this is super hard, but try to keep the TTC out of your decision because pregnancy is temporary and I’m a firm believer that we can all have it all!
Post # 4
i would stay at current job. Hopefully get pregnant soon (all the luck in the world to you!) Take advantage of the mat leave and then move to New England… i see no point switching jobs now especially cause the new one isn’t spectacular or anything and the old one is low stress and that is what you need when TTC.
Post # 5
Taking pregnancy out of the picture, it doesn’t sound like the new job offers a lot of benefits over the old one. Would it be a significant step forward in your career? Does it bring you closer to your overall professional goals?
Then looking at it from the pregnancy angle:
– If your new company doesn’t offer maternity leave and has only 5 employees, they aren’t required to allow you time off via FMLA anyways. You say you plan to use Aflac “when you go on disability” but your employer could legally allow you ZERO days off after you have your child. That is unlikely, but they don’t have to hold your job for you if you decide to take leave. At least you know your current employer has a policy in place.
– You are looking at an additional 40 minutes per day commuting. That is 40 minutes less with your husband and child, and potentially additional costs related to childcare as well.
– The ability to work OT is really nice, especially at 1.5x. If you ever needed some extra cash quickly, you could bank some more hours. You could also prepare for your leave by earning extra before the baby is born
Post # 6
Take TTC out of the equation : would you take the job?
You might get pregnant next month…or it might take a year…or (and I really hope not!), you might never. If that happened would you regret basing this decision around it?
Post # 8
Post # 9
I would stay. It doubles your commute, even if you do get half day on Friday. Fewer sick and leave days, as well as no possibility for overtime and potentially a lot more stress (unknown factor). I’d stay because it is low stress and high-flexibility, just what you need for a new baby! You can also really work a lot in the lead up to maternity leave if you want to offset the half-paid maternity leave portion a bit. Seriously, let’s say you started working 1 hour a day extra before baby. That’s 5 hours a week– boom! Already you are getting paid 12.5% more than your normal pay check, without a ton of extra input because it is so spread out. Multiply that by 34 weeks (because hey! you may be preggo now and you probably wouldn’t want to continue that all the way til delivery). That gets you one month’s pay back in your pocket and offsets the two months at half-pay. Just think about the commute only…I bet your time value eats up the 5% bump in pay right off the bat.
Post # 10
Current job all the way. The 5% pay bump and slightly better job title of the second job is not worth it for the increased commute, greatly decreased personal/sick time, and lack of maternity leave. Also, JMO but I think it would be easier to integrate back into a workplace if you have been at a job for a couple years before going on maternity leave instead of just a few months.
Post # 11
I would stay at your current job. That being said, the new job obviously wants you if they’re reach out to you AGAIN. Because of that, there is no reason you can’t reply and ask to negotiate their terms so that it benefits and makes sense to you. Ask for a pay raise, ask for better benefits, etc. The worst they can say is “no” and then you’re no worse off. The best thing is that they can say “yes” and you can seriously consider it. In the end, you hold the cards because you have a great job currently, and even if they meet your demands you still don’t have to accept the job.
Post # 12
Why is did the person leave? Was it the person they hired back in June? I’m alway weary of super small companies. If the boss (or just one person on the team) is a nut case, you are screwed and miserable.
Post # 13
No, the person who left was the one who interviewed me along with the owner of the company. I’m not sure they ever hired a new person in June….
Post # 14
Good point about the commute. I’m not sure I’d be allowed to bank that much OT without good reason, but a FantasticFawn:
I agree with you! It would also be easier to reduce my hours at my current job if I wanted to be part time when I return from mat leave… Pretty sure the other position wouldn’t allow me to go part time. starfish0116:
Thanks! I did try to negotiate previously and they wouldn’t budge. I could try again though 🙂
Post # 15
Or, try to negotiate on other things besides salary – like PTO days, time for potential maternity leave, etc. If you’re thinking of making another move in 1-2 years, also think of the impact of changing a job twice in 1-2 years. If the title change would make a difference, go for the new one (if you negotiate any type of better package). If a title change for less than a year wouldn’t make a difference for relocating job hunting, it may not be worth it.