(Closed) Confused….advice

posted 4 years ago in TTC
Post # 2
1069 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

I would say take the job if it is offered. You never know how long TTC will take and you don’t want to put your life on hold and then drive yourself crazy knowing that it took that long anyway.

Post # 4
5001 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

I would take the job and TTC right away. If you get pregnant before you qualify for paid maternity leave, take it unpaid (I assume they still have to give you 6 weeks or something legally?). You likely won’t get pregnant on the first try anyway and it won’t be an issue. You don’t have to sacrifice one or the other.

Post # 5
413 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Bettyboo1982:  You’re in quite a predicament! But congratulations on many fronts: new career opportunity, getting married and starting a new family. 

I’m going to play Devil’s Advocate and pose these comments/questions:

1. How important is paid MAT leave for you? If the new company requires 12 month tenure to have coverage, can you negotiate at the time of acceptance? Can you negotiate to 9 months of tenure?

2. Based on your research, the new job will be less stress? I say this because whenever I transition to a new role, I’m always overwhelmed with so much catching up and put in 60+ hrs a week. I normally work 50 hrs a week.

3. Can you talk to your current employer and discuss new projects that can keep you from getting bored? 

My suggestion would be to take the new job and start trying in 2015. With your wedding and end of the year holidays, you’ll most likely be super busy trying to time TTC. 

Post # 8
114 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

I don’t think there’s a “right” answer to this one, I can seen lots of pros and cons on both sides! 

Just to add another point which I don’t think has been mentioned – if you decide not to take this new job right now, that doesn’t mean you’ll be stuck in your current job FOREVER, even if you do have kids. You have competitors calling you up and asking you to come work for them, so you clearly have a good reputation in your field and have skills which are in demand! I’m sure other opportunities will come your way even if you don’t go for this one. 


Post # 9
4518 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

RunnerBride13:  what she said. 

Take the job, if they offer it and you want it. It is (almost) never worth it to stay at a job that you have outgrown. Go ahead with your plans to TTC and take it from there. If you get pregnant right away, awesome — you may have to take some or all of your leave unpaid, but I think in the long run it’s not worth it to turn down a great job opportunity just for that (assuming you can afford it, which it sounds like you can if you were thinking of leaving your job anyway). If you don’t get pregnant right away, the you’ll be glad you started TTc as planned, and you’ll get your new job AND your paid maternity leave — win-win! Good luck. 

ETA: I think I misunderstood your initial post — it sounds like the money IS important to you. In that case, I would take the new job and wait to start TTC until you’ve been at the new job for 3 moths.  

The topic ‘Confused….advice’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors