(Closed) Considering a cake & punch only reception

posted 8 years ago in Reception
  • poll: What would you do?
    Cake and punch only but being able to invite everyone you want to : (42 votes)
    82 %
    Heavy hors d'oeuvres but just family and being somewhat bummed about excluding friends : (9 votes)
    18 %
  • Post # 3
    332 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2011

we’re doing cake and punch only okay cake and milk lol with coffee but yeah we wanted to invite all our friends and family vs just a few

Post # 5
    332 posts
    Helper bee

also we’re just doing this at 2pm and we’re going to keep the reception to about 2 hours but we’re doing it at the church itself so we can’t dance or drink etc

Post # 6
    332 posts
    Helper bee

yeah our photog is running about $500 he’s the friend of a friend he’s not a pro but he should be and his sis is making the cake for us..i think it’s very possible to have a nice classy wedding without spending all that money

but if i may be nosey what are you doing to make yours last so long *mainly bc i don’t want ppl leaving so quickly at my wedding*

Post # 7
    14186 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2009

i think cake+coffee/milk is good for a 7:30/8:00-11:00 reception. You could do different flavors, too! In fact, try Costco. We had three big sheet cakes (each fed 50 people) and they were $15.99 each. Then we had a small, pretty cake to cut. But you could offer lots of variety as far as cake goes. And if you have elderly family members, you could do a diabetic-friendly cake.

Post # 10
    2204 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

Maybe instead of more food, do more deserts? So it would be like a cake and desert bar + coffee/punch? Maybe add in some fun tea flavors? You could order a tea that is packaged in your wedding colors (as long as the flavor was good of course).

Post # 12
    2204 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

I don’t think it would be too much because not everyone is a cake-eater (shocking, I know haha) and it might help people mix and mingle if there were different things to sample/snack on.

Different flavor coffees would be fun! I would do a set-up kind of like starbucks-style, with maybe some different milk/creamers and sugars arranged. There a tons of ways to dress it up and make it a very chic coffee bar.

Post # 14
    332 posts
    Helper bee

i’ve seen any and all candies at a candy buffet you can go all or not there are sites for it to buy candy…my friend did like 100s of personalized m&ms but she had the money too for it

Post # 15
    1810 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

I think it’s a great idea, but keep in mind that a lot of people won’t drink coffee at that time because then they won’t be able to sleep. But the PP’s idea about having it like a coffee bar environment sounds like so much fun! 

I also like the idea of cake and a candy buffet, especially since people can take the candy home if they want, and that doubles for the favor. That in addition to coffee, sodas, punch and water would be great and I think a lot of fun. 🙂

Also, maybe provide some nuts or mini pretzels or something for those who do not like sweets.

The topic ‘Considering a cake & punch only reception’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors