Post # 1
I know my boyfriend has a ring and is going to propose within the next month. I honestly thought it would happen by now, but the ring took 8 weeks to get in, which threw off his initial plan to propose on our July 4th trip. My question is, should I start emailing venues and maybe photographers to get pricing and availability? Or is this totally crazy? I don’t want to go on any visits or tours until we are engaged, but I would love to know pricing and details and have time to compare venues ahead of time. I’ve been looking around online and have 3-4 venues I really love. All would include catering (I believe) and seem to be a one stop shop. We are thinking of either May or June 2020, which means we will probably have to make decisions quickly with it being a 9 month engagement. Any advice?? Will looking into pricing and availability of venues now take away from the actual engagement or will it allow the first few weeks of planning to go smoother and be less stressful?
Post # 2
Does your bf know you’d be doing this? If he’s on board, and you aren’t doing it behind his back, then sure. Venues might not take you seriously though.
Post # 3
He knows I’ve been looking into venues, but I think he thinks it’s because I know people that got married there or saw it on Facebook. That’s a conversation we should have – you’re right. I probably would not tell the venues I’m not officially engaged yet. Just something along the lines of “I’m in the early stages of planning and weighing options, and wanted to see if I could get a copy of your wedding pricing.”
Post # 4
My ring isn’t even in existence yet. The jeweler sent me a CAD and they’re making some tweaks. That’s not stopping me from booking venue visits. My bf and I are looking at 2 places in 2 weeks. And the ring will still be a fetus by then. We’ve also been to wedding expos and talked to vendors separate from that
Absolutely start looking, as long as your bf is on board. Venues book up fast.
Post # 5
I mean, there is no law against calling and asking for prices and date availability. I wouldn’t even tell him. I’d just tell him if you want to go see or book something before you are engaged. But… it’s a slippery slope. You call for availability and prices and find out there is only one Friday available that time of year. Makes you stressed and want to go see so you don’t lose out if it’s your fave option. Then if you see and love it you’ll want to book so you don’t lose out. But you feel like you can’t until you’re engaged so you get frustrated waiting. And you feel like you can’t tell your family about the venue until he proposes. So you lose out on some excitement.
Fiance and I knew we’d only have a 10 month engagement when we started to look at rings based on production time but we’d already decided when we wanted to get married. We talked about it and wanted to make sure we got the venue we wanted. We agreed to look at venues and ended up putting a deposit down before the ring was finished. We were technically engaged from when we agreed to get married and booked the venue, but we publicly announced it a few months later when the ring was on my finger.
Post # 6
Unless you have already chosen your wedding date with your Fiance, then I would hold off on contacting venues. A lot of venues base their pricing off of dates/times of year so it might not give you a really accurate picture of what you’d be paying for.
Post # 7
- Wedding: April 2017 - City, State
No harm in reaching out and getting general pricing if you have some idea of when you’ll be getting married. Venues and vendors base a lot of pricing on time year, size of wedding, etc. so you’ll get more accurate information the more details you’re able to provide them.
But even if you don’t get pricing, you can still research venues and vendors and see what you might like.
Post # 8
Our reception venue was booked a month before we got engaged. I started contacting other vendors for pricing around the same time. We knew we wanted a short engagement and a summer wedding, and places book up quickly. If you know it’s coming, I don’t see an issue with getting a leg up.
Post # 9
I would wait, but if you must have a May or June 2020 date, you’ll probably want to start contacting them now. I’m getting married in May 2020 and I booked my venue in February. A month later, all of the May and June dates were gone.
Post # 10
If you know that you want May/June of next year I don’t see any harm in at least getting quotes. I definitely wouldn’t book anything now until you’re officially engaged, but you can at least get quotes.
Post # 11
- Wedding: November 2019 - City, State
We totally booked our venue before he proposed. I knew it was coming and we only had 11 months to plan, and EVERYTHING was booking up like crazy. So we went ahead and decided to start the process so we wouldn’t get shut out of a venue we liked.
Post # 12
NOT CRAZY AT ALL. I did the exact same thing and our wedding is JUNE 2021! Where I’m from, venues, photographers, and florists book up SUPER quickly. If anything you’re being really smart about it. My ring is still at the jewlers’ but our venue is booked! Haha!
Our venue coordinator already had 2021 dates booked, and mentioned how she sees a lot of people come in early to lock in 2019 prices (prices of venues always go up each year).
Post # 13
If he’s on board, yes… Contact them now.
Post # 14
We also booked our venue before the “official” proposal. And our photographer… And ordered our Save the Dates 😂
Post # 15
Start working on it now! We booked our venue before getting officially engaged, we knew we had to have it so we booked it the day of the tour. As long as he is on board with you beginning early that is.