(Closed) Contemplating a home & yard makeover. Worth it?

posted 7 years ago in Home
Post # 3
3520 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I wouldn’t necessarily take out a loan, but I’d definitely look into tackling the project.  Can you post pictures, or inspiration pics?

You could always hire a landscaping company to do the work in stages, as you can afford it.  You’d be surprised at the cost once you start getting quotes.

Post # 4
466 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Do you really need to take out a loan?  From your post, it sounds like you need to do some yard clean up, maybe some painting, and get a new door?  Doesn’t sound like that would be a ton of money.  You can rent or borrow yard tools.  If you have any gardening friends, I’m sure they would happily give you starts of perenials, if you need to do some planting. 

Does it all need to be done at once?  Meaning, can you get a new door now, clean up the backyard this fall, and save the front yard reno for next spring?  If you’re undecided about taking out a loan for this project, I would say don’t do it, I think there are ways to complete all these tasks without going into debt.

Post # 5
2562 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I also support the idea of tackling the clean up/makeover in stages. I don’t think taking out a loan is worthwhile, but a lot can be done with some “sweat equity” start by just cleaning things up, and pruning back the greenery that is overgrown, then make a plan you can implement in stages, as you have the time and money. That is how me and Darling Husband are approaching the landscaping of our home (it is a new build, so our yard is just a mud pit at the moment), when we have the money we buy whatever supplies, and plants we can afford, and get those in place, then decide what needs to be done next. It is somewhat slow going, but doing it quickly and owing money would make me uncomfortable!

Post # 7
1276 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I don’t think you should take out a loan because you might not make the money back with your improvements. I agree with PPs that it sounds like a lot of the stuff could be tackled on your own in stages. Especially with the market the way it is, you don’t want to take out more money on your house. 

Post # 8
2891 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

We used to flip houses and bought many of them super cheap because of cosmetics. Giving a house curb appeal adds serious $$$ to its value. Houses with awesome curb appeal are the only ones selling well right now. That being said you don’t necessarily have to go further into debt to gain it. Call around and get some free estimates. Ask each company what they would do to your house if they were you. What they would do if money were no object. You can get lots of great ideas this way. Then tackle the work it spurts. Some of those ideas you can tackle yourselves immediately, others you will have to wait on. Don’t feel bad about using their ideas since you will have to hire one of them at some point to complete the transformation. Also check if any colleges near you offer classes in design/landscaping/tree trimming (some trade schools community colleges do). They might be able to give you ideas or want to take you on as a project. (We can hope, right!) Also you can check and see if you have any salvage yards near you that carry architectural elements. We have gotten old doors/porch railings/gingerbread trip for super cheap. Just strip, refinish and hang for a fraction of the cost of new. Good Luck!

Post # 9
3943 posts
Honey bee

sweat equity!!!

Seriously. it sounds like its just super overgrown and needs some love. I wouldnt go into more debt for work that you can definetly handle yourself. A lawn mower, weedwacker, an edger, some mulch, and maybe some hedge clippers will do wonders. It might take a few weekends but it will be worth it.

And yes, youll probably need a professional for the trees…but you can trim some of them up on your own. Borrow a chain saw or for limbs high up they sell a thing for around $50 that will chop them.

Post # 10
3762 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Don’t go into debt over your yard.  I know how hard it is because we have no grass in our backyard. 

I agree try to tackle what you can when you can.  A good weed eater, rake, and clippers can do wonders on an overgrown yard.  Even look at taking out a few of the smaller trees on your own. 

The topic ‘Contemplating a home & yard makeover. Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors