Post # 1
Holy smokes (not joking, actual smoke!). I was baking a baked potato in one of those handy potato bags. I smelled something from the micro, and I pulled it out to see the corners on FIRE! Thank goodness we’d gotten a few inches of snow. I threw it out in the yard to cool off and stop smoking and made some other lunch.
I kept smelling a stronger and stronger chemical smell (must be whatever is in the fabric of the potato bag), and I look outside to see that the ENTIRE bag burned up, burned the grass under the 1-inches of snow, and the potato was still on fire. WTF?! DIE POTATO!
I’m a little nervous to go to the gym, I think I may have to skip this after seeing the grass on fire. Better stay on potato watch until I know it’s COLD. Freaking A!
Any bees have some other horrible cooking stories to brighten my day? LOL.
Post # 3
Lol wow. Its good that you caught it in time tho. I remember when I was maybe 16 or so, we were having a little get together at my house and we wanted pizza..So of course my mom always bought the ones in the box lol. Sooo silly me, and this is before I actually started cooking real meals, I put the entire box in the oven lol. I didn’t unwrap it or anything..Minutes go by, and we start smelling something funny from the kitchen, and of course it was the box of the pizza lol. To this day my cousin still says she’ll never eat my food because I cooked pizza in the box lol
Post # 4
Oh my gosh, that is crazy! Yikes…flaming potatoes…that does sound dangerous.
I love to cook but I admit that I’m a bit of an improviser. With experience I’ve gotten much better at eyeballing amounts, but last year I got a little too experimental on a curry recipe. I was thinking it wasn’t flavorful enough, so I kept dousing it with spices.
It tasted great at first, but after a few bites, Darling Husband and I were both scrambling for glasses of water–I don’t know what I did, but our mouths were on fire! It was pretty awful. Plus I’d bought a ton of spices specifically for this recipe…what a waste!
Post # 5
@indibee: This happened to a friend of mine too!! She has a picture of her Darling Husband holding the bag with this hilarious look on his face.
Post # 6
I really like cooking, but it is almost impossible for me to cook without a recipe.
So, I was making chili (something I’ve made many times before and something that has been good many times before) and I was trying a new recipe.
So, the recipe calls for brown sugar… I only have splenda brown sugar for baking. So… I see on the package it says 2x as sweet as regular brown sugar so I cut the amount in half.
Apparently it is WELL more than 2x as sweet as regular brown sugar. The chili was SO sickeningly sweet. And of course I was cooking for Darling Husband and 2 of his best guy friends.
Darling Husband ate two bites and gave up as did one of his friends. His other friend was so sweet and ate TWO BOWLS of this awful dessert chili.
It’s been 3 years since then and anytime I cook these guys ask if it’s going to be dessert chili again. I don’t know how many delicious recipes I have to cook before I live that down!
Post # 7
Oh my these are some horror stories!
I cooked a chicken dinner, complete with the chicken head. Yes, inside the chicken was the head which we found AFTER we ate. We called the company and they said everything is mechanized and processed separately, so the only way a chicken head would get inside the chicken was because someone deliberately put it there.
Post # 8
@MM423: OH I have a bad curry story too!
I got an indian cookbook for Christmas one year. The recipe required me to “toast” a bunch of whole spices to get the flavors out.
Well, little did I know that “toasting” these spices gave off the most noxious smoke. My throat was burning, my eyes were watering, my nose was burning. Darling Husband came home and started coughing right away.
The poor cat was blinking constantly and his eyes were watering.
The smell did not leave our apartment for a good week!
Darling Husband said the food turned out really good. I couldn’t even eat it because I was so sickened by all the smoke.
Next time I cook indian, all windows will be open and I will wear a gas mask.
Post # 9
@KatNYC2011: that’s a great story! my friend’s mom toasts all her cooking spices in the backyard on a portable gas stove and then moves it in to finish the dishes.
Post # 10
Mexican beans are dangerous. The best way to cook them in in a pressured pot. These pots are 100% safe most of the time, you just need to make sure it’s properly sealed.
My FI’s grandma once failed to seal the pot properly, it exploded sending the lid and beans all over the kitchen. You can still see the dent the lid made on the ceiling.
Post # 11
@vickyness: Yeah… I think I might wait until I have an outdoor cooking space before attempting indian food again.
I love indian food, but you can get amazing Indian here in London so I don’t have to cook it. I’ll stick to dishes that don’t require spice toasting for now.
Post # 12
I have a baking disaster story
years ago I decided to make a layer cake from scratch for Thanksgiving. I was new to baking. I did not let the layers cool enough before I frosted the cake. As I went to put it in the fridge the top layer slid off and hit the floor.
No Thanksgiving Layer Cake
Post # 13
My worst cooking disaster was leaving a pot boiling of chinese beef noodle soup boiling during college and leaving the apt to go to class. My apt mate woke up to smoke and a really realy badly burned stockpot.
Post # 14
Last year I volunteered myself to make my MIL’s birthday cake. I’m not a super baker by any means, but I’m handy enough in the kitchen that I can usually get by.
I decided to challenge myself and make an upside down pineapple cake. …in fact, I made two, the second one for “just in case”.
I definetly waited too long to start baking because I was pulling the cakes out of the oven and we were already 10 minutes late. I didn’t let them cool and when I flipped the pans over the cake half got stuck, tore and became a mess. Proceeded to do this AGAIN with cake #2.
Fiance at the time tried to help by stacking the cakes onto of each other. His reasoning was that we could quickly put icing on it and hide it. lol… of course we couldn’t find any icing so we had to take the cake as it was which was basically a pile of broken cake with mushy pineapple on top. Got an A+ for taste but an F for presentation…it literally looked like it had been run over. hahaha…happy birthday MIL! ps…her birthday is this coming weekend and I volunteered again. Maybe I’ll stick to cake from a box 🙂
Post # 15
I once fried a turkey on my stove top (I ran out of propane for the turkey fryer on Thanksgiving) and the oil boiled ALL over my stove, counters, floor. It was the worst mess…..
Post # 16
@KatNYC2011: I’m so jealous!!! I want to visit London (totally off topic!) I heard British Indian food is amazing. I live in a tech area with a healthy Indian population so we have some pretty good ethnic restaurants here but I’d love to try out what you guys have across the pond. 🙂