(Closed) Cooking disasters! Share your stories…

posted 8 years ago in Cooking
Post # 32
Member
4479 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch

This wasn’t a total disaster, but instead of putting an onion in the food processor (I HATE chopping onions), I put it in… the coffee grinder. I wondered why the settings made no sense to me. Coarse onions, anyone?

Post # 33
Member
2444 posts
Buzzing bee

Six years ago I was making this Italian dessert (struffoli), which is essentially fried tiny dough balls covered in honey. Well, the oil got way too hot and splattered on the back of my hand. 

Long story short, I ended up in the burn unit with second degree burns and my hand and fingers. I had to wear a protective glove for a month. 

Post # 34
Member
371 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

I don’t have any great ones, but a couple of weeks ago Darling Husband was cooking something in the microwave and he put one of those microwave covers on it (its from when he was a bachelor and his roommate wouldn’t cover his food so he bought that to encourage him) well it was right on top of a bowl with no space between, when we went to pull the cover off it had sealed itself onto the bowl! You seriously could not separate the two, he had to stab the cover with a knife to make an air hole to separate the two, I thought my poor bowl was a goner!

 

Post # 35
Member
3482 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

@spaniel: Could be worse, you could have tried to brew them afterwards! 😉

Post # 36
Hostess
1426 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I have one for my mother… when I was in elementary school she put on a dozen eggs to hard boil on high heat. Got a phone call from my aunt to pick something up at her house. So she leaves the house and gets distracted into a gossip-fest at my aunt’s house. 3 hours later, she came back home to the house filled with black smoke, the eggs had exploded and ended up EVERYWHERE. To this day I have no idea how we managed to find egg pieces in the bedrooms on the second floor back then. When she got into the kitchen, a small fire had started in the pot and when she grabbed the pot handle the bottom of the pot had melted onto the stove. Not to mention the built in microwave on top of the stove had its knobs melted down too… If she had come back 5 minutes later I’m sure the house would have gone up in flames.

To this day… she still refuses to hard boil eggs and cooks them in the rice cooker! =P

Post # 37
Member
2729 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I have 2!

1. I was baking my mom a birthday cake last year and somewhoe between the time I put it in the oven and the time I walked out of the kitchen, I hit the temperature knob and knocked it up to like 450 or something ridiculous like that. About 10 minutes in I started smelling burnt cake, so I got up and looked and the cake was completely black on the top. Haha. I was quite upset.

2. This one also has to do with a birthday cake! I had made my Fiance a birthday cake this past year. I baked it, frosted it, decorated it, it was all good. Except we didn’t really have anywhere to put it, so we were keeping it in the oven to keep it out of the way. A couple days later I was making spaghetti for dinner and was going to make garlic bread. So I preheat the oven…well guess what’s still in the oven! Yep…it took me way too long to realize it, and the cake was completely melted and liquified frosting was all over the bottom of my oven. So I took the cake out and kept heating up the oven. Well, guess what happens when you have a frosting coating on the bottom of your oven? It catches on fire! It was terrifying. And now I ALWAYS check the oven before preheating it, even if I know nothing’s in there.

Post # 38
Member
2729 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

@vickyness: OMG! I would have been absolutely mortified and scared!

Post # 39
Hostess
1426 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@CarolinaCola: yeah… she was pretty terrified. i was really young at the time, around 8? But I remember the smell and look of the smoke. She left me in the car and went running into the house and I remember seeing the smoke come out of the door when she opened it. In the long run, she got a brand new kitchen out of it. And now leaves notes everywhere in her house saying “turn off the stove”

Post # 40
Hostess
1426 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@CarolinaCola: omg! that’s really sad!!! 🙁 (about story #2)

Post # 41
Member
2729 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

@vickyness: Haha. Well at least something good came out of it.

Yeah, about FI’s cake, I felt soooo bad and almost didn’t want to tell him that I melted it. But he just laughed.

The topic ‘Cooking disasters! Share your stories…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors