Post # 16
We have a late June wedding and I am really hoping things will be better then. We haven’t made plans to postpone, yet. Waiting to see how things go. We may end up getting married in a small ceremony on the day we picked, if things are still bad and then push the reception to a later date? Who knows. This is uncharted territory for everyone. You aren’t alone in your fears and confusion!! My friend was supposed to be married on April 3rd but has postponed to September.
Post # 17
April Bride here! We sent out a change of plans annoucement last week – we waited as long as we could. Ironically we had just wanted to elope to begin with and then I bought a wedding dress and was like we should have family and close friends at a minimum. My fault! So we revamped from that to a 60ish ceremony and reception. Now we are trying to see about keeping the same date and have immediate family only or if it makes our officiant more comfortable just us and our photographer (who has been an absolutely gem through this situation). We are hopeful to maybe livestream it through FB and have our friends and family that cannot be watch it that way IF we have an extra body to hold a phone. I let everyone know that may be an option and if we could work it out we would send info over before the day of. I would normally be against that kind of thing because I don’t like that personally but if we could do that then we would just have a reception later and move on. If we cannot get that done we will probably do a vow renewal for our friends and family especially if our family cannot be there for the day of at a later date or possible on our 1 year anniversary.
Lots of moving pieces. And it’s hard but I just have to remember at the end of the day we are all lucky to have met someone we want to spend the rest of our lives with and I am so happy it is with someone I consider my best friend – so whether its in front of 100 people or just us; it’ll be a very special day and something I am so ready to do!
Post # 18
We were due to get married on the 18th July 2020 and have decided to completely cancel our wedding until further notice.
Ive been absolutely devastated, as has my fiance, and this was such a horrible, heartbreaking decision to make (ive spent a LOT of time in tears this past week!) however – by cancelling i feel like we have been given a chance to create something even more special and even more meaningful than what we had planned originally. We now plan to marry in May/June 2021, but have decided we no longer want the ‘big’ white wedding we had planned.
We are now looking at smaller, more intimate venues and are thinking about cutting our ceremony numbers down considerably to just immdiate family and close friends, and just having a bigger gathering afterwards. It has taken this awful situation for me to realise we were having a wedding that other people expected us to have, and we werent following our hearts with what we truly wanted.
Take this time to have a think about what it is you really want from this, and go from there. 2020 brides really have had it tough, but i do think there are still positives to be taken from this awful, horrendous situation.
Best of luck bee xxx
Post # 19
I love your attitude and spirit! We will be making a plan next week for out May 1st wedding…. not sure what it will be yet! When was your original April date? Just wondering how close other brides are cutting it to pulling the plug on the original plan! We too, are waiting as long as we can.
Post # 20
My date is 4/4/2020 we sent out our change of plan e-notification (to be honest we sent electronic save the dates and wedding invitatons so it was super easy to edit it and send out a Change of Plans notification – but I know many think thats not proper etiquette. *shrugs*) on 03/21/2020. The people that had been in contact with us asking we told them we were waiting as long as possible to pull it but that it was looking more like it would be delayed every day so they at least knew to expect the postponement instead of giving them false hope. I would think for a May wedding I would say 3 weeks out or even the 2 weeks out. I am crossing my fingers by then this has leveled off some and you should have some ray of hope! One of my good friends is having a graduation party on 5/7/2020 and we are hoping for her sake that isn’t delayed!
I am just hoping that we can have our family there but our county has a ‘shelter in place’ and they are giving out $1,000 fines for ‘gatherings’ and I know me in a wedding dress would be enough to draw random attention and I know people are calling and telling police about gatherings so I am thinking for the sake of the virus, our safety and others and to not cause as much ‘attention’ we may just do us and our officiant.
Post # 21
Just in case you may be interested here is a template of what we used.
Post # 22
I think the question boils down to a simple one – do you want to be married or do you want a party?
Post # 23
you said this on another thread, and I don’t think this black and white question is helpful. It makes it sound like wanting a party means the actual marriage is unimportant or less important. wanting a regular wedding and reception take nothing away from actually wanting a fulfilling marriage as well.
Post # 24
I am not a fan of lying about the original wedding date, and I think with this pandemic, people will be more than understanding about it. Indeed, I think people will be enthusiastic to travel again once it is safe (if their financial situation was not ruinous). So have your wedding when you like, consider that your anniversary, and then plan a reception or party whenever you are able. Your family still loves you and would be there if they could, so they will probably still want to celebrate with you when they are able.
Post # 25
If it comes to it, we will sadly have to postpone. We are already DeFacto and in a recognized relationship so legally we don’t gain anything from being married, it’s the religious side and celebration with close friends and family that is our priority (wedding is of only 50 people including us).
Post # 26
We officially postponed our wedding today… I am heart broken. Our original wedding date was August 22, 2020 and our new date is August 21, 2021. I was optimistic up until a week ago… My fiance has a compromised immune system and many of our guests work on the frontlines. We agreed that we did not want to risk the lives of our guests but also agreed that we did not want to get married if everyone cannot be in attendance.
Post # 27
We decided to just go to a courthouse as soon as it’s possible (Canada) and then have a prolonged honeymoon when it’s completely safe (there is vaccine etc) I never really wanted a wedding and it was a good reason to cancel without anyone acting up. We were mostly throwin it for the family (destination wedding)… I will still have a photoshoot and the dress etc but only when it’s all done. I feel it’s in bad taste to throw any parties right now…let alone it’s illegal