Post # 32
I agree with @Oneeleven: that doing something just for the money is horrible. But does he think that he will hate his job? Meaning, will the day-to-day be awful? If it’s just that he would hate being so far away, I think you have strongly consider it. If he will hate being so far away *and* what he will be doing everyday, then I’d be leaning towards not doing it.
@missbubbles: Wow! be able to pay off your mortgage? That has me leaning toward going! Do you think there might be other companies that also do oversea trips, but with shorter contracts? I know my company send people over for 6 month contracts. Also, is there someone who could take care of your child for a few days if you did decide to fly over and see him?
Post # 33
@missbubbles: One thing I forgot–would you look back and regret this decision? If it takes him months to get another job (heck even if he got one next week), would you look back and regret not having your house paid off?
Post # 34
I have to ask–what about his young son? Putting the money aside, is it acceptable for him to leave his son for an entire year without visitation? That sounds pretty hard for a child to understand, even with phone calls and letters.
Post # 35
imo the money is great but he has no guarentee of a job later unless its still there and he cant see any family i would say pass.. something will come!!
Post # 36
@missbubbles: Are you willing to move as a family? Is anything keeping you there? I did a quick search and my company has some opening for welders in Newport, RI, Chesapeake, VA and Bayview, ID. Let me know if you are interested…
Post # 37
If I were in that situation, I would have to say no. I understand how much you need the money, but the cons outway the pros, at least for our family it would. I can’t believe that as a welder, there are no jobs available for him. Would you be willing to relocate within the US if he could find a job elsewhere?
Post # 38
If it were me, I’d probably ask my husband not to accept that job. In my “worst case scenario” way of thinking, he could end up getting killed or seriously injured, and no amount of money is worth that to me.
Plus, it is not like this is a choice between he goes to Kuwait or your family dies of starvation. Yes, it might be a really good offer, financially. But there ARE other opportunities out there, even if he hasn’t found them yet. If you are getting by for now, you could hold on longer until he can find one of thse better options. If it were me, I’d ask Darling Husband not to go, and reassure him that he will find something else that is a better fit for your family. And also do everything in my power to make sure he does find that better opportunity.
Post # 39
Ladies~ Thank you for all of your feedback. After many days of “talking” we have decided that the best thing for our future is for him NOT to leave. Thank you for all of you support in one of the hardest weeks I have had as a newlywed.
Post # 40
@missbubbles: Well I’m glad that a decision was made. I hope that you both can try to find some peace in all of this and get rid of the stress.