(Closed) Could my ring be making me itchy?

posted 7 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
Member
5296 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

I would say that sounds like an allergy – I know people can be allergic to nickel, not sure about gold?

Post # 4
Member
341 posts
Helper bee

I can’t wear gold earrings, they drive me INSANE! My ears get red, swollen and then they start oozing and eventually start crusting.. its nasty. Sorry for the visual. I’ve also noticed that if I wear a ring that’s not gold, my finger does something similar so I wouldn’t see why it’s not possible to be allergic to gold (White or yellow) on your fingers too. Maybe its gold plated and whatever is underneath the gold is bothering you. If you take it to a jeweller they should be able to tell you, maybe it needs to be re-coated. 

Post # 5
Member
801 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

I do not know for sure,

but in my case I’m allergic to most metals (not platinum or gold though)

so you might want to look into that?

Post # 6
Member
612 posts
Busy bee

White gold is often a nickel-alloy and you could definitely be allergic. In the UK, there are now strict restrictions on the use of nickel in white gold because of it! There are non-nickel white golds but they are more expensive because they are mixed with rarer metals.

Post # 7
Member
438 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Most white gold has nickel in it, which is definitely a common allergen! I’m super allergic to nickel and can’t wear white gold jewelry (even buttons on my jeans that touch my skin make me start to feel itchy/develop a rash within a few minutes). It’s possible that you’re allergic to gold, but I think it’s much more likely that it’s a very mild allergy to nickel that’s causing the itchiness.

Post # 9
Member
267 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

i have a yellow gold ring and i’ve noticed that my finger would get itchy out of the blue.  i took it off and cleaned it really well and that didn’t really seem to help.  but, then i realized one day that i never dried under my ring when i’d wash my hands.  so, now i make sure to thoroughly dry my hands- even moving my ring up and down to make sure i dry it as best as i can…that worked like a charm!

Post # 10
Member
2114 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

Could very well be an allergy – Palladium might be a good alternative to look into – much cheaper than platinum

Post # 11
Member
2247 posts
Buzzing bee

I actually had this reaction with platinum, before.  I was wearing a platinum ring and my finger underneath it got really itchy, red, and flaky.  So, I had to stop wearing it. 

When I got my engagement ring (it’s white gold), I noticed it was happening again.  Then, I realized that everytime I got my hands wet, water was getting trapped under the ring.  Now, I just take my ring off and dry my hands good and it hasn’t happened since!  So, always take your ring off to wash your hands or shower, and if you do get wet with the ring on, take it off and dry your finger and the ring.

Post # 13
Member
432 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@SuzySchmoozy: As PP have said alot of white gold has Nickel in it, You may have an allergy to that.

You can get white gold with other Alloys mixed in, Mine is mixed with palladium since I can’t wear Nickel.

Post # 14
Member
972 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

allergies.

Post # 15
Member
351 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I was having the same problem as Pink Sapphire.  My ring is white gold and I even had it replated as I heard some people are allergic to the nickel in white gold.  The itchiness still came back.  It wasn’t until I started doing what PinkSapphire suggested that it stopped.  Now I take it off when I wash my hands and then dry my finger really well before I put it back on.  I have even put my ring in boiling water a few times to clean it as that seems to be the only way to get the bacteria out of the crevices well (my ring has a pretty intricate setting so I think bacteria must get trapped in there when it gets wet and isn’t dried well.)  I would try this before you decide you have to get your ring re-set into platinum!

The topic ‘Could my ring be making me itchy?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors