Post # 1
My Darling Husband has had a bad reaction on his ring finger! He has a white gold band. He stopped wearing the ring because of it..it is leaving a burned like mark on it =(
At first I wondered if may be it was too tight on him, but that is not the issue. It itches and hurts him.
We were told that platinum wouldn’t cause this type of allergy..
Any one in a similiar situation?
Post # 3
Platinum is hypoallergenic, so he would likely not be allergic to that.
Is his wedding band 14k white gold? He may be fine with 18k gold. I have a severe nickel allergy (which is what causes people to have an allergic reaction from gold. The lower the karat, the more nickel is mixed in with the gold.), so I cannot wear 12k yellow gold or lower without getting a reaction. I also cannot wear 14k white gold unless it’s the kind that doesn’t have a lot of nickel. But, my e-ring is 18k yellow gold and it does not bother me at all.
Post # 4
@OhBeeHive84: It’s definitely possible to be allergic to one metal and not another. I don’t know if your husband will react to platinum or not, but his allergy to the gold doesn’t mean he’s also allergic to the platinum.
Post # 5
Or you could get white gold made with palladium instead of nickel- you’d have to find someone that could do this. He is probably allergic to the nickel not the gold.
He also probably not allergic to platinum
Post # 6
Yep I’m allergic to white gold and it does the same thing to me, my ring is platinum and I have no issues 🙂
Post # 7
I had a reaction to a bronze ring and a gold ring (but not all gold rings) but my platinum wedding set has not given me an issue and I wear it daily.
Post # 8
@DeathByDesign: It is 18K gold
Thanks everyone, sounds like he will be OK with platinum..maybe I should make him wear my wedding ring on his pinky finger or something to see if it irritates him lol
Post # 9
Typically the allergic reaction to white gold is actually to the nickel, not gold.
Post # 10
Palladium would also be a good hypoallergenic option.