(Closed) Crane Lettra 220lb with L letterpress?

posted 6 years ago in Paper
Post # 3
686 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I am using 140# Holyoke Paper.  It feels too thick for the L Letterpress – I ended up removing the paper underneath the registration so I didn’t feel like I was about to break the poor thing.

I would be afraid to try 220#….Holyoke Fine Papers are gorgeous, and their service is great.

Actually, people haven’t been RSVPing to our wedding because they said the invites were so pretty, they were afraid to untie them and open them!

Post # 4
324 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I don’t know anything about letterpress, but why would letterpress paper be too thick? Like, why would that make that thickness if it didn’t work? Just curious, because I’m using the 220 crane’s.

By The Way, is the crane’s supposed to be really textured?

Post # 5
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: August 2012

@UrbanDreamBride:  

Yes, it is possible… So I’ve heard. I have read somewhere that in order for the machine to take such thickness of the paper stock is to remove some of the base of the machine and replace it with paper so that it sits lower and goes through the machine easier, and will still make a great impression on the paper. I guess it takes a bit of fiddling and playing around with.

I’ve also decided to DIY letterpress my invites and thinking of using the thick lettra stock for a more luxurious impression. I would really like hear others feedback if this actually works???

Post # 6
686 posts
Busy bee

@MissTaken:  You would eventually break your machine from using paper that’s too thick, since the L Letterpress is mostly plastic.  It’s a junior letterpress, and IMO, can’t handle super thick paper very well.

@ricebun:  I used 140# (per above), and had to remove the stock paper that’s underneath the registration/base in order to feel comfortable running it through the machine.  Before I did that, it was really creaking and eventually the handle broke off.  It’s workable, but I personally would not suggest going thicker than 140#.

Post # 7
Bee
1433 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012 - Historic Lougheed House

I got the regualr weight 140# Holyoke paper.  I think it feels nicer than the Cranes Lettra! I would not put 220 through the L-letterpress.  I’d only do that on a Hieldelberg Windmill.  Aka the granddaddy of letterpress. 

Post # 8
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: August 2012

@eagle:  

Where did you buy your holyoke paper from? I’ve seen their direct site but they don’t have alot of options in amount or sizes you can buy, either too small or too large sheets and they’re quantities are very large.

Post # 9
686 posts
Busy bee

@ricebun:  I bought it online direct from them – I doubt you can buy it any other way.  I found the 100 quantities perfect given that you’re going to mess up when you’re first using the L Letterpress.  (Actually, I still mess up a good deal!)

Post # 10
Bee
1433 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012 - Historic Lougheed House

@ricebun:  Yeah I bought the wedding packs of 100.  Its the best deal – shipping to Canada was EXPENSIVE though!

The topic ‘Crane Lettra 220lb with L letterpress?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors