(Closed) Curious…Average CC Bill (Spending Habits)

posted 4 years ago in Finances
  • poll: What is your average bill?
    500-1000 : (28 votes)
    21 %
    1001-2000 : (33 votes)
    25 %
    2001-3000 : (23 votes)
    17 %
    3001-4000 : (27 votes)
    20 %
    None of the above - please comment! : (22 votes)
    17 %
  • Post # 61
    1277 posts
    Bumble bee

Well I kinda put all my expenses on my card for the rewards points. So about $800.00 a month. 

Post # 62
    856 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

We each have our own CC’s and I rack up around 1200/mo on mine and he’s more like 1k.

That includes: all food and household items, dining out, gas for our cars, any repairs, clothing, our cell phones, internet.  That’s for us and our 2 year old.

Post # 63
    6574 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2014

We push about $120k through our credit cards every YEAR but it’s not evenly distributed through the months. For example we have a season ticket plan for one of our local pro sports teams; we get billed in installments spread over 5 months and don’t have payments outside of those months (and we also have a group who share the tickets so they pay us, we pay the credit card and we keep the airline miles).  Or our property taxes which are billed twice a year.  We write about 4 checks a year; everything else goes on the card. My fi doesn’t even carry cash and I usually withdraw about $200 cash every 6 weeks or so and use it for the odd things that can’t go on our cards.

Post # 64
    1506 posts
    Bumble bee

View original reply
    esbeejay :  most smaller things like phone bills and internet and utilities let you use credit card. We financed our car instead of buying it with cash because they let us put the entire deposit on a credit card (2% cash back!!) and the interest rate on the loan is less than we get for sticking the cash in a savings account. 

Post # 65
    1025 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2016

An average of $5500/month… we put almost everything on them to get points, then pay them in full every month. We have 2 Disney cards (points redeemed for Disney gift cards to pay for our vacations) and one Chase Freedom (points just used for cash back). 
    I try to be good about watching which categories get extra % back on certain months and use the cards accordingly, but either way the bulk of our expenses go on cards. 

We are a household of 2 adults + 3 dogs and use our cards for: cell phone bill, cable/internet bill, grocery, dog food/toys, vet bills, medical copays, vacations/trips and miscellaneous spending (take out, entertainment, etc). 

Post # 66
    8066 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2013

Maybe you’d be better off asking for people’s budgets but obviously that has a lot of variability to region, income, lifestyle, etc.  

I also put everything on my credit card I can (not allowed- mortgage and student loan payments) and I probably spend $4-5k each month.  But a lot of that is daycare ($2k).  Our minimum expenses per month (outside of mortgage and the student loans) are close to $3k when we’re figuring what I spend on groceries, bills, eating out, etc.  I have a 3 year old and a 14mo old.  That’s just everyday expenses.  If we were to take a big trip or something, that’d be extra on top of that.  But everything else goes on my card- electric, phone bill, life insurance, car insurance, everything that’s allowed.  

But we also use a shared one for business expenses for my husband’s small business so really we put on a lot more but that’s not the household expenses.  I think I average $100-$300 back a month in rewards (cash back).  Free money!

Do you have a budget?  Your best bet is to probably try to build some type of line item budget.  Somethings are non negotiable, variable, and somethings you have room to tighten up (maybe) like groceries or eating out or clothing purchases.  I have a very detailed budget I keep (I like that sort of thing) but I build in some flexibility.

I am also one that asked my bank if I could put my mortgage on the credit card when I bought our first house lol.  They said not allowed…whomp whomp. smile

Post # 68
    8066 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

View original reply
    megasaurus_rex :  have you tracked your purchases for a month?  I guess it depends on what you consider silly and how much it is.  And if you’re able to meet your financial goals while still spending what you are.  Or if you want to save more, etc.  If you track for a month you could really see how much you’re spending and on what.

Post # 69
    1471 posts
    Bumble bee

I use my debit card. Credit card is for rare online shoppng and traveling and if by the end of the month I have no money on my debit account.

Post # 70
    2965 posts
    Sugar bee

We don’t use credit cards, but I understand that mostly you’re looking at spending habits. We don’t have any children, but we do have two dogs. We each get $270 every pay period, so $540 a month for gas, eating out, and spending. We also each get $200 a month for miscellaneous bills that pop up (such as doctor appointments, car maintenance, dog food).

Between the both of us for spending, including that miscellaneous budget, we get to spend $1480 a month. However, it’s important to note that we don’t have to spend that. I’ve been saving my spending/eating out money for something for DH’s birthday. 

Left over miscellaneous rolls over into a large miscellaneous fund that either of us can use for big items needed periodically, such as new tires or the dogs’ yearly vet visit and vaccines.

I’m not sure if your thread included bills though. Bills come from a separate fund.

Post # 72
    9341 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper

View original reply
    megasaurus_rex :  I think a spinoff by category might help with the comparisons, particularly for flexible costs like groceries, restaurants, clothing, commuting, etc. 

Post # 73
    1695 posts
    Bumble bee

Average spending on my card is about $100 a month. I really only use it for purchases that I have to use a credit card. I do use it on occasion for booking flights or paying hotels. Every now and then an emergency ends up on there but I try to not carry a balance forward. 

I don’t have a points card, my card just has an anciently low interest rate, which has somehow been missed when they bump rates. So until they bump my rate to the point it’s worth getting a points card I probably won’t bother.

Post # 74
    8066 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

View original reply
    megasaurus_rex :  yep, probably a good spinoff idea would be to ask people for their budgets/spending habits on the more flexible areas: groceries, eating out, clothing, household purchases (decor), hobbies, travel, etc.  ^^ 

Even groceries can vary wildly depending on location and preference (organic vs not, dietary restrictions, special diets).  To answer that.  I budget roughly $800/mo for groceries/supplies (like laundry detergent, tp, vitamins)/cat food.  For specifically groceries I usually spend $100-$125/wk.  Then I usually budget for $600/mo for everything else that includes trips to the zoo, eating out, medical copays if I have one, wine, new flowers if it’s spring, etc.  That’s just a rough budget I based after tracking my expenses.  Obviously sometimes I spend way under for a week and some weeks I spend over.  I also like to move money into sinking funds categories for things that occur periodically (like zoo membership once a year, car insurance 2x a year, clothing, etc).  I do all of the spending for our house so it’s easy for me to keep track.  My husband virtually never spends anything.  Since we have 2 young kids, we don’t eat out much and I prefer cooking anyway.  Clothing is tricky as cute kids clothes are a weakness of mine.  

The topic ‘Curious…Average CC Bill (Spending Habits)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors