(Closed) currency questions

posted 6 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 3
865 posts
Busy bee

Are you a triple A member? If you are you can go to them and get $100 worth of euros, they charge the conversion rate plus a small premium but it’s enough for your first few hours. Also, they offer a prepaid debit/credit card that works internationally at ATMs. I used it on three separate trips to Europe and it worked just fine in France, Italy and Austria – no problems anywhere. They charge a nominal fee for it. I notified my regular bank that I would be traveling internationally before I went but  my regular bank debit card would not work there, anywhere. I also notified my credit card company and it worked fine, they do the conversion for you. Make sure that your cell phone is global or it may not work in Europe.  Call your cell carrier before you go, Verizon sent me a global loaner for the trip for a small fee.  While your at triple A you can also pick up a plug adaptor so that your electronics will be compatible, they are difficult to find in Europe and don’t use a hair dryer with it, it will fry the adaptor. That’s how I learned its hard to find us adaptors in Europe – lol! Have a wonderful time!

Post # 4
1798 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I’ve taken the same approach for my international trips. I tried to use my no-fee capital one card as much as possible and got a small amount of cash to use when credit cards weren’t accepted. When deciding how much cash to get, keep in mind that if you are traveling to remote areas or small towns you may need more cash because credit cards may be less commonly accepted.

The topic ‘currency questions’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors