(Closed) Custody question but only trying to TTC

posted 5 years ago in Parenting
Post # 3
4035 posts
Honey bee

@nonapkns:  Tough question. While it will likely not be a situation you have to deal with, I can understand your concern. Women’s rights and custody situations outside the US can be very different and difficult. 

I honestly do not know anything about the laws or paperwork needed to protect you in this situation, but if you need the peace of mind, you should probably see a lawyer to at least know your options. 

Post # 4
1660 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

@nonapkns:  I’m a worrier by nature too, and I completely understand where you are coming from.  I would talk to a lawyer about your options like PP suggested.

Post # 5
1778 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

If it would make you feel better, talk to a lawyer and get it drafted up.  I do not think this is an unreasonable request.  Because you are a US citizen (I am assuming), that would make this easier for you as well.  I know that in most states the mother needs permission to move far away from the father, but if he does not give permission, there are ways it can be granted.  There is nothing wrong with protecting your best interest, or your future child’s.

Post # 6
2874 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

you need to find out if its legally enforceable. theres no point getting something drawn up if its not worth the paper its written on. any kids born there are going to be SA citizens i assume (or youd have the baby in US?), which means even in the case of dual citizenship the US cant interfere with legal issues in SA. so i assume that itll depend on SA law rather than US law

most likely itll be affected by how long youve been there. if you divorce after a couple of years you have a better chance of being able to do that that if your child has been living in SA for 10-15 years

The topic ‘Custody question but only trying to TTC’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors