(Closed) Cutting out Wine & Salt to Lose Weight?

posted 8 years ago in Fitness
Post # 3
5262 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

Yes to both, although for me cutting out salt helps more than wine. But I tend to only drink 1 glass of red a night if that. 

In regards to salt, I use very little table salt, it’s the “hidden” salt that makes a difference. 

Post # 4
2237 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Cutting out salt will make you lose water weight since sodium makes you retain water. But it won’t make you lose fat.  You may lose some bloat, because water makes you bloat up though.

Cutting out wine will help a ton!  2 glasses every night is a ton of empty calories!

To lose weight you really do need to change your diet and exercise though.

Hope this helps!

Post # 5
1871 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

In theory, if you do nothing else but cut out your wine, you will lose weight by cutting your nightly wine glasses because you will be cutting about 200 calories. It’s not really anything special about the fact that WHAT you are cutting is wine. Every body is different–some people swear by low-carb, others by not eating past 6pm, others by cutting sugar–but at the end of the day, in order to lose weight, your body needs to use more calories than it takes in.

Lowering your salt intake will help you drop weight, usually because it causes you to retain water. Watch those processed foods–most are loaded with salt.

Post # 6
776 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I tried to cut out salt before my wedding too and I really think it helped a ton.  It makes you retain water. I also cut out all alcohol besides wine, I just couldnt live without my wine 🙂 But I did try to limit it to only a couple days a week I would have a glass or two.

Post # 8
1585 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I cut the wine and salt from my diet!  My wedding is on saturday and I cannot wait to have a very large glass of wine… or 10.

I also ate a ton of veggies and lean meats like chicken breast and turkey patties.  I maxed out on protein and did not eat anything processed. I worked out with a personal trainer for the past 3 months, did spin and yoga. I must say I look pretty good and I will feel great in my dress.

Post # 9
5262 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

Just wanted to add that cutting out salt is more than just bloat – not necessarily because of the salt itself, but because it cuts out almost all processed foods, which are packed with fillers and not exactly nutrient rich. 

I’d definitely throw in some whole grains and lots of fruits and veggies, too!

Post # 12
296 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

definitely agree on the salt. cutting back on salt will not only help you lose weight but will also boost your heart health as well. as for the wine, sure it might help you lose a little weight, but red wine has some great health benefits, from heart health to antioxidants, so maybe just cut back to only 1 glass a night.

Post # 13
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: June 2011

My MoH just told me about liv sxinney. You add a packet of liv sxinney or Green 20 powder to a bottle of water and sip it during the day and eat normally but divide your normal meals in half so you eat 6 smaller meals. She’s lost 10lbs on it already. There’s another product called crave that fights cravings. I just ordered some because my best friend is so obsessed about it. I’ll write back and let you know what I think! Check it out: http://www.livsxinneynyc.com

Post # 14
404 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I am very sensitive to salt…

I have been eating a lot of lean cuisines lately because it is quick and easy and low in calories. We moved across the country and didn’t have a kitchen to cook in. But they are really high in sodium.

I noticed that my ring finger is totally bloated and it feels tight on my hand.  I cut the salt, started cooking my own food and 3 days later I noticed a tremendous difference.

Post # 15
Hostess
16195 posts
Honey Beekeeper

Water doesn’t make you bloat; salt does. Drinking extra water can actually help you get rid of water weight.

Post # 16
2237 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@Gemstone: Salt makes you retain water and thus bloat up.  The salt itself isn’t making you bloated, the water technically is.  But you should never dehydrate yourself!  Just cut down on salt so you don’t retain the water!

The topic ‘Cutting out Wine & Salt to Lose Weight?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors