- 4 years ago
- Wedding: June 2012
I’ve posted before about my FIL, who is a very kind and special man who we love very much and who also sucks so much at buying gifts it’s like I don’t even know how he manages to be that bad at it. I mean it’s so bad you almost wonder if it’s intentional. (it totally isn’t intentional though, which is why I’m complaining on Weddingbee about this instead of anywhere in real life)
So I had posted previously about his incredible difficulties with buying us a car seat off our Amazon registry. He finally succeeded, sort of (it was a different color than the one I registered for, but given how much trouble he was having, I’ll take it and give loud thanks!). So then he was preparing a little care package to send up to DH and told us it was going to include a gift for the baby. Okay, neat, can’t wait!
It arrived today, and apparently the gift for the baby was some kind of monstrous plush flower thing that you put in the sink to hold the baby while you give it a bath.
Let me lay out all the reasons why this is a terrible gift:
1. We didn’t register for it. Okay, people like to go off-registry to buy things — not a big deal. But this brings us to …
2. We already have a baby bathtub, which we DID register for and someone bought for us. We surely don’t need a second one, and we especially don’t need a hideous flower-monster thing that you have to use in the kitchen sink (GROSS) and that is plush but you’re supposed to put it in the bath?! I don’t even understand.
3. He bought it at a store (Buy Buy Baby) that we don’t have up here in WA so we can’t return it.
4. It was $40. Let me tell you what else he could have bought with that $40 that would have actually been useful to us. Two additional cloth diapers, for example, would have been pretty nice.
5. He knows we have a registry and he knows where to find the registry. Because he bought the car seat from it already.
I’m trying not to be annoyed because really, it was a nice gesture … but I mean, come on. You aren’t my part-time coworker or senile great-aunt Mildred buying some random shite that we don’t need. You are the baby’s grandfather. Step up your game a little.
Well, lesson learned. Next time FIL asks “what should I get the baby for Christmas/birthday/no occasion whatsoever?” we need to be very, very, VERY specific. Or else he’ll, like, buy us a baby swing even though we already have a baby swing and he knows we already have a baby swing. Because he does stuff like that. This is the same man who got me a $50 Cheesecake Factory gift card for Christmas even though I have never eaten at Cheesecake Factory, or expressed any desire to do so, and the nearest CF to our house is like 40 minutes away. Thanks, Dad.
Okay I feel better now after ranting a little. He just does stuff like this all. the. time. And he really doesn’t have the money to waste on this dumb crap. WHY CAN’T HE JUST BUY US SOMETHING USEFUL, LIKE … EVER.
He did buy us the car seat though. So … at least there’s that.