(Closed) Damn El Nino!! 100% Outdoor Wedding

posted 5 years ago in Reception
Post # 2
1582 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

40s?! Oh heck no. Sorry, but I’d wish you well and be on my way.

That is cold. That is cold to spend hours outside even by the standards of cold weather climates, let alone for people who are used to Cali temps.

Post # 3
9519 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

View original reply
wonderlily:  As a Cali native I felt like such a woose walking to my car the other day and it was in the 50’s

that is super shitty bee! I don’t know about more heaters,  they couldn’t hurt. To be honest I would probably leave shortly into the reception

Post # 4
3176 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2019

View original reply
FutureMrsJohnson_:  offer hot chocolate! Ugh I’m so sorry bee. I wish I could give you some of my warmth it will be 70 here in Massachusetts. I’m a so cal native originally. I think renting the heaters will help.

Post # 5
257 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

Outdoor weddings are a tough thing. You can never guarantee the weather. Do you have a back up reception area? 

Post # 6
47413 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

What were you planning on doing if it is raining, not just cold?

Post # 8
7883 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 1997

I could see it going one of two ways. First, everyone is cold, doesn’t want to freeze and leaves early. Second, everyone has a few cocktails, gathers around the fires, doesn’t notice the weather and is disappointed that it ends so early. Unfortunately, there’s no guessing which way is more likely. Then again, I’m from the snowy midwest, and option 2 would be most likely here (the 40’s is still shorts weather for high school kids). There’s nothing better than drinking around a fire!

Post # 9
9519 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

At this point can you just whip out a creedit card for the tent. You don’t have many options left and you only get one day. $2000 is not too much to pay off

Edit- is NOT too much to pay off

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by  theatrejulia.
Post # 10
7881 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I could tough it out with the heaters, but I bet most other guests would feel it’s too cold for that. Extra heaters might expand the radius of warmth a little, but there will still be pockets of cold. Those outdoor tents are really nice, and I think your guests will appreciate it. It’s expensive though!

Post # 11
1582 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

It sucks, and it’s a total bummer for sure, especially with the house cost. But your back up plan has always been the tent, as you say. You’re getting bad weather, so you need to enact your back up plan. 

This is why I screened out a venue that did not have an entirely indoor back up plan for bad weather, though. You need the tent. Maybe even the tent plus heaters, honestly.

Post # 12
3228 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

View original reply
FutureMrsJohnson_:  I’m from the southern east coast, but also used to nice weather (certainly not 90s this time of year, but it stays nicer than the north). I just got home from the bar and I was FREEZING out, I was miserable by the last half hour and begging DH to leave after we’d been there about 2.5 hours. Just checked the temp here and it’s 64*. No freaking way I’d last in nice/dressy clothes at 40 something degrees outside for more than the ceremony and maybe, MAYBE dinner. You just need to suck it up and rent the tent, tbh. It’s a risk of the outdoor ceremony and I would have factored the 2k in to my budget from the beginning, personally. 

Post # 13
7580 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

Heaters plus tent, it’s the only way. Otherwise, everyone is going to leave as soon as the sun goes down. Sorry. But it’s the hostess’ responsibility to make sure her guests have theor basic needs looked after, and a fire pit and some blankets just isn’t the right way to take care of your guests.

Post # 14
2671 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

View original reply
FutureMrsJohnson_:  sorry. I think you’re really going to need a tent or else everyone will be miserable. 40s is cold. Especially in Southern California where frankly, we are all wimps. I’ve been bundling up in my fiance’s giant hoodie, leggings, and uggs to walk my dog at night for the past week- and it’s been in the 50s! I can’t imagine having an enjoyable time being outside when it was 10 degrees colder and I was dressed for a wedding (most likely in a dress and heels.)

Post # 15
9567 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

Ill put it this way… If you don’t spring for the tents and heaters all that other money you spent on a reception will be a waste. Sorry bee!

The topic ‘Damn El Nino!! 100% Outdoor Wedding’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors