(Closed) Dancing & Dining in Separate Spaces?

posted 9 years ago in Reception
  • poll: What do you think?
    Dancing & Dining should ALWAYS be in the same space! : (6 votes)
    27 %
    Dancing & Dining in separate spaces is OK! : (16 votes)
    73 %
    Other, please explain : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    1042 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

My venue does the same thing. I think it will be ok!

Post # 4
    1896 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2009 - St. Thomas of Villanova Church & the F.U.E.L. House

We WANTED dinner and dancing in separate spaces.  Dinner will be upstairs, and dancing downstairs…and although we’ll encourage people to come down after the meal ends, you’ll also be able to SEE the dance floor from upstairs. 

I love the idea of movement throughout the evening — it keeps things fresh and exciting.  Sister Bru did it for her wedding to great effect, which convinced me we could pull it off as well!

Post # 5
    1428 posts
    Bumble bee

My best friend’s venue had somewhat separated spaces for dinner and dancing although there wasn’t a door that closed off each area just a small open archway. It was really great. Like Bruschetta said the movement of people going back and forth I think it really fun, and it actually encouraged more mingling for the guests.
    If you love the venue I don’t think it would be a problem at all.
    It was nice to be able to walk away from the dance floor to sit down and talk with people without having to yell over the music to be heard.

Post # 6
    6661 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2010

Bruschetta – are you getting married at Fuel House?

I love the idea of having dinner while looking down at the dance floor (and Fuel HOuse is awesome for that!), but I’ve also been to a wedding in Saratoga Springs where the dancing was in a separate room and I’ll be honest it wasn’t fun. We kind of all danced on our way out (if that makes sense?), but it wasn’t the normal dinner/dance which makes weddings so fun! People like to dance for a song or two, sit for a little while, eat some cake, and come back to the dance floor.

Post # 7
    2470 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

Is there any room the set up a few high table tops so if people want to watch the others dance, they can sit in there?

I think it should work out just fine and definitely do-able. If you love the venue for every other reason, I’d go with it!

Post # 9
    64 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

I’m going to rain on the parade here, sorry.

Dinner and dancing in the same room was one of my “rules” when we looked for a venue. I’ve been to too many weddings where those things were separate and I always felt like the party was disjointed (plus the doors might contribute to this feeling even more).

For example, I was at a friend’s wedding a few years ago and the dinner and dancing were in separate rooms. By the time heard the DJ announce the cake cutting and first dance and made my way over there, they were already over! Perhaps that was the DJ’s fault for not giving use enough time, I don’t know, but I really hated that I missed those things.

For me, dinner, dancing, and bar had to all be in the same room.

Post # 10
    1045 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 2008

Gerbera,

That’s how ours is, and how my brother’s was at the same venue.  Are you planning on having your cocktail hour out in the dancing space, so people can mingle around those hi-tops around the dance floor?  What we’re planning on doing is having the double-doors to the dining room closed during the cocktail hour, so people will be mingling around the dancing space.  When we arrive at the reception location after photos, the band will ask the people to clear to the edges of the dance floor, and then will announce the wedding party, and we’ll come in and do our first dance straight away.  Then, we’ll mingle for the rest of cocktail time– the "real" dancing will then begin after dinner (probably started off by parent-child dances).

Post # 11
    332 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2009

It can *definitely* work in separate spaces. In fact, older guests who do not like loud music will appreciate not having the noise and possibly wild dancing 😉 in their faces, and they can enjoy quiter conversation with each other. You can have your DJ, band leader, MC, or whomever announce that guests gather in the dance space for your introduction (if you’re doing one) and dance the first dance. Then they can be seated for dinner. Or have them already find their seats and eat dinner, then have the announcer call everyone into the dance area for your dance and go right into the dancing. People will know they can go an sit back down, or stay and party. Have a few tables (high boys or shorter four-tops) for people to set their drinks on while they dance or to stand around and watch and eat their cake. Also have some chairs in case older guests or those who have danced a little too hard want to sit for a spell. The possiblities are endless!!

Post # 12
    7 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: August 2011

We are thinking about separating the dancing and dining and even the guests while dining. We are renting an old manor and a tent for the back yard – we are thinking of haveing cocktails and dancing in the tent and dinner in the house – it will be easier for the waiters as theere are steps down to the lawn. also, there is airconditioning in the house which will be a waste if cocktails are there as the doors will be constsntly open. But….we have 200 people and no one room can hold all of them. We were going to do first dance during cocktail hour, have everyone come in for dinner and then go back outside. We have the venue the entire day ntil midnight so even the after party can continue there.  t

he question I have is how many tables should I put in the tent? Enough for everybody?  High or low?  can anyone help?????

The topic ‘Dancing & Dining in Separate Spaces?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors