- 4 years ago
- Wedding: May 2015
Hello ladies I really need your help with an etiquette issue I am having….
Back story: My fiancé and I were suppose to get married this July, save the dates were sent out, and deposits were paid. We moved in with my parents back in September to save money for the wedding and because my fiancé was suppose to join the police academy last month. Well due to some issues, my fiancé wasnt able to get into the police academy, so now he is living here with my parents as well. This threw our financial situation for a huge loop. I just graduated college last month so I am in the process of looking for a job, so I have no income, and he is just working part time. We were not planning on being this financially strapped, and thought we would be able to save money for the wedding with the new income he would have made in the police academy. We have looked over the budget many times and have cut everything possible, and even cut some guests off of the list, to try and fit everything under the $10,000 budget my parents gave us, but I can’t seem to get everything to fit under that budget. Anything after the $10,000 is what my fiancé and I were suppose to cover ourselves, which would be fine, but we just don’t have the income to cover the extra costs right now……so last night my parents decided to talk to us about moving the wedding to next May, so another year and 4 months (mind you, I have been engaged for 2 years already). I see the benefits of waiting, so I may be annoyed about being engaged for over another year, but I know at the end of the day we will be able to afford the wedding that we will actually love and be able to save and start our marriage on a better financial situation.
Issue: My sister sent out the bridal shower invitations on Monday, thinking that the wedding would still be in July. But now that the date it moved to over a year out, I am wondering if we should move the bridal shower too? I don’t want to offend the guests by having the bridal shower too early, but my sister has already paid the deposit on the venue where the bridal shower is going to be. I’m just trying to figure out the best way to go about this without upsetting anyone, the guests or my sister. Also, 2 of my bridesmaid have already bought their plane tickets to come to the bridal shower next month.
What would you bees do if you were in my situation? I know changing the date is causing a lot of issues, but I’m just trying to make the responsible decision and start our marriage off in a better financial situation.