Post # 1
My boyfriend and I have been together for 4 years now (just celbrated our 4 year anniversary yesterday actually). We have been living together for 3 years and we talk about the future all the time. We have started saving for our future house together (we know what town we want to move to and will be ready to move in 2014 most likely) and we also have a budget/savings plan for the wedding already in place. We have been talking about our wedding for a few months now and I know that a proposal is coming this year (but don’t know when- probably sometime this summer or fall). On a whim, I called today to check on the availble dates of our prefered vendor and, while the date we initially wanted is still available, it is pretty booked up and probably won’t be available for long. This is where boyfriend and I had a bit of a debate. We initially wanted to get married in Fall of 2012 for various reasons (family members health, to get it over with sooner, etc.). Now, with the dates for 2012 so limited, we may do a Fall 2013 wedding. I guess I am just wondering, at least with others, what is more important, the time you want to get married or the venue you want to get married in?
I don’t want to put any more presure on my boyfriend to propose- and while we did talk about putting down a deposit on the date we wanted at the venue we wanted I feel like it is probably a bit rushed. We haven’t “officially” looked at places yet because I wanted to wait until I had a ring on my finger. I guess I am just upset that the wedding we had already started planning won’t be a reality- either because the date will be a year later or because it won’t be at the venue that we both really liked.
Post # 3
I think a year is too long to wait. a few months? Maybe but not a whole year!
Post # 4
You may find more venues you like after you really start looking. I’m sure you’ll get some on either side of the fence, but for me, I would go for year I want (next) over venue.
Post # 5
Yikes, I definitely think 2013 is too long! It’s tricky when guys who are not natural planners are in charge of something that sets in motion planning that needs to be done in very specific timeframes…. If he didn’t feel pressured to put down a deposit and agrees that you should, then I would go ahead and do it. It would probably end up taking the pressure off to do the deposit, actually.
Post # 6
I think the vendor is only part of it and its worth looking around at many places. I do find it odd to reserve a date without a ring, it doesn’t seem natural. I don’t think I would put my wedding off for another year just to have the venue. I would probably consider all options. I’m in Boston, can you tell me where you were looking?, so many places to consider, if you want to PM me I can probably give you recommendations that might be close to what you are considering.
Post # 7
I wouldnt wait a whole year just for a venue, Im never that attached to a venue and there is always something nicer out there
Post # 8
@sweetiejewels I just sent you a PM about venues
I think the boyfriend and I will have a lot to talk about tonight to try to figure this all out.
Thanks to everyone for their input!
Post # 9
I would have to be REALLY attached to a venue to wait a year! Fiance and I picked a season (fall) and will go with whatever works in that time frame for 2012. Thankfully we only have to deal with the church since the reception will be at home. If the church was booked, I’d take the next available or go to a neighboring church. I’d rather not wait any longer! We’ve already dated 6 years!