Date/venue dilemma

posted 3 months ago in Reception
Post # 2
267 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2017 - Canvas Event Space

If he’s super set on the venue and do it on the Friday, you have all day on the 6th to spend the ENTIRE day together as husband and wife. So you could look at it that way. 

But if you’re more set on the date than he is on the venue, keep looking around and keep this one on the back burner.

As far as weather, not sure how the seasons have been in CT but I’m in southern Ontario (so not super far away) and it’s like all of our seasons are on a 2 month delay the last few years so early October is still pretty warm and straight up hot on a good day around here. Might be cooler at night, but if they’ve got heaters I assume it should be fine.

Post # 3
603 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2021

areyouthebride :  All of this is exactly what i was going to write.

Post # 4
7071 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2016

Your wedding day is an important date no matter what. I’d go with the venue he wants.

Post # 5
1627 posts
Bumble bee

Pick another venue. Oct , outdoor wedding, in the evening when its already cooler sounds bad lol. 

Push the date as the issue if you think he wont budge on the location. A saturday wedding is so much easier for guests, especially if they are travelling for your wedding. 

Post # 6
705 posts
Busy bee

jessicaj29 :  So, I would just do a tiny bit of research. If you want him to be flexible about the location, you should have some alternatives to suggest. If you show him a couple options and he still won’t budge, I’d say the rule for a happy marriage is “Whoever cares more, wins” and choose another day.

As for the cold; early October is still usually pretty nice. Most outdoor venues have heaters and are prepared for inclement weather, so that shouldn’t be too much of a concern.

Post # 7
6163 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

He really wants that venue. Is this is a hill you want to die on?

I get that you want to stick with a sentimental date, but you know what? Whatever date you choose will end up being a sentimental date.

If there are other options you love on the date you want by all means present them to him, but if the ONLY thing he is really wanting is that venue I’d just give it to him.

Just consider this the first step in compromising in marriage. 😉 For my honeymoon we spent two weeks skiing in CO. Was a ski honeymoon at the top of my list? Not a chance. I wanted to go to Hawaii. In the grand scheme of things it was the ONLY thing that was important to DH. I like skiing and we regularly go to resort areas so I just let him have that one. We had a great time.

Post # 8
3088 posts
Sugar bee

jessicaj29 :  I would keep the venue and have the wedding Sunday, Oct 7th if it’s alright for you to have a daytime wedding. I think Oct 7th is close enough to Oct 6th. And I prefer that day over the Friday, Oct 5th because I just feel uneasy celebrating stuff ahead of time even if it’s just one day ahead. Besides, if Oct 8th is a holiday, maybe you can still have a Sunday evening wedding?

Post # 9
1770 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

jessicaj29 :  your wedding date will become super special. And who doesn’t like have even more special days?! Just more to celebrate! Go with the venue you love over the date you’re attached to – you’ll move on from the date, but if you leave the venue behind, you’ll be thinking of it the whole time. 

Post # 10
1371 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2017 - The Lodge at Little Seneca Creek

I think you should go for the Friday, so you can celebrate all day on Saturday, and then you’ll have two special days in a row. (However, I totally get how you feel–we got married on July 28 because we met on July 28 4 years prior, and I was not willing to budge on the date.)

My birthday is October 5, and I can say that most years, my birthday has still been warm. I live in MD now, but I used to live in MA. I don’t think it’ll be too bad to have an outdoor wedding on October 5, but make sure you can use the heaters if need be.

Post # 11
178 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

I would not want an outside venue. It sounds like a recipe for disaster and you will be stressed about rain, horrible weather ect. I would compromise the date though. But don’t have an outside venue.

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors