- 5 years ago
- Wedding: November 2017 - 1800s era Church
Ok, let me preface this with, my daughters father and I never had a relationship. We were very young when we had her (ie still in highschool.) We were friends all through highschool and one night at a party got really drunk (yes, teenage drinking) and had sex which the next day we both knew was a huge mistake. A couple months later I found out that I was pregnant.
Fast forward to now. Our daughter is fifteen. Him and I have always had a great friendship, which made co-parenting so much easier. Especially when I hear these horror stories some women have about their kids fathers. Neither him, nor I, ever had “those” kids of feelings for each other. We have always supported each others relationships with others, just always wanted to meet whomever was going to be our daughter.
Now, I always refused to bring anyone around my daughter that I was dating unless I thought it was going to be serious. When my Fiance (then BF) realised it was serious and we planned on moving in together in a few months, we thought it was time to meet each others children, and his ex’s. Him and my daughters father got along great. Which was fantastic. My Fiance knew the whole story, and while he had told me he was skeptical of my story about never being in a relationship with my daughters father, after he met him and got to know him, he heard the exact same story from him. So he knows it to be true. After that, they became great friends, and hang out often.
Now, last night we were dicussing wedding party. He wants to ask my daughters father to be his bestman. As they have become so close over the last 4 years. To me, this seems a little weird. I know they are good friends, but 60% of the guest list knows he’s my daughters father, and the other 40% is FI’s side the family, whom I haven’t met yet. When we told my daughters father we were engaged, he was genuinely excited for us, and said “About damn time.”
I don’t know bees. I know it is his decision on who he chooses for his bestman, but I honestly don’t want to spend my wedding day explaining that no, him and I were never together, it was a one night thing due to teenage drinking, and they are friends.