Post # 1
Long story short – we had to delay our honeymoon for a long time. Thinking of one of these choices in May, but have some setbacks with all. I’m from the west coast (California) Here are the choices:
1. 5 days in Maya Riviera (Akumal/Tulum) – really want to go here for the gorgeous beaches and water (my main reason for wanting to travel), however I hate and I mean HATE to fly. I don’t mind a shorter flight (3 hours or less) but 4 1/2 – 5 is like torture for me.
2. 5 days in Kauai – have been here before, but thought it was beautiful. I don’t think the beaches/water will be as nice as Mayan Riviera though or as warm. Again – LONG flight and even possibly an hour longer than Cancun.
3. 7 Day Mexico cruise to Cabo and Puerto Vallarta – this is probably the most convenient because I don’t have to fly. I have done this cruise 20 years ago but husband hasn’t. Not sure if it’s going to get that bug out of me wanting the turquoise calm waters though
4. A 4 day trip to Las Vegas in a suite. It’s a 4 hour drive, but not flying. I’m not a big gambler and feel we could really do this anytime. But I could get a hotel with nice pool and lazy river.
I must also mention we would like to keep the budget under $2500.00.
Living in California/west coast sucks for having to travel anywhere tropical! East coasters have it made – just hop on the plane and be in Virgin Islands in 2 hours
Anyway – how would you rank these vacations or what would you do in my situation?
Post # 3
It sounds like what YOU really want to do is #1, the Maya Rivera. So do it! A 5-hour flight really isn’t a huge deal, bring a personal DVD player and some movies or a few good books and you’ll be there in no time 🙂
Post # 4
I’d say 1 or 3. I’d probably not do Vegas for the reasons that you said.
Post # 5
Sounds like you want to do 1 to me too.
Post # 6
Do number 1. You deserve it for waiting and you seem like you really want to go there. 5 hours is nothing!
Post # 7
I would rank it 1. Riviera Maya -that sounds AWESOME. If you really have a fear of flying, ask your doc for a small dose of a sedative or even melatonin and knock yourself out for 4 hours.
2. Cruise -You’ve done it before, but it’s been a long time, it’s a longer honeymoon than Hawaii, and you get to see more places.
3. Hawaii (but I’d do Maui since you’ve been to Kauai and move that to #2). You’ve already been there and life is short. Check out a new place
4. Vegas. You could do that any time. And you probably will. Do something you wouldn’t do
I think you should take this opportunity to get over your fear of flying (I still grip the person next to me in turbulence too) and go somewhere you’ve always dreamed of going.
Post # 8
That’s a tough choice! It sounds like you would like to do the Maya Rivera trip the most. The only thing is how much it is going to cost if you really need to stay on budget. We just booked a trip to Maui and Kauai and it is SO expensive. I’m not sure how much cheaper flights are from the west coast to Hawaii but it was about $2000 for just our flights. We went to Antigua for our honeymoon and the flight was about $1500 if I remember correctly. I’m not sure how much flights to Maya Rivera are, but I’m guessing about that. Plus hotel, food, etc, it really adds up. Just something to think about. I think it’s probably the easiest to stay on budget with a cruise (unless you are big drinkers). But I can see how that wouldn’t be as exciting as the other options, especially if you want to spend your time lying on the beach.
That being said, it’s your honeymoon, so if there’s ever a time to splurge a little it’s now! We could have probably used the money we spent on our upcoming trip for so many other things, but decided that since we’re going to start having kids soon we should do one last big trip or we’ll probably have to put it off for years! In fact, my mom gave me that exact advise because she has always tried to be sensible with money and never ended up going anywhere. So pick the trip that you are most excited about, find ways to save money while you are there and before you go, and if you go over your budget a little, that’s ok because it’s a once in a lifetime thing.
Post # 9
west coast bride here… virgin islands was amazing went last may.. for a trip just cause. the travel sucked had to go from portland to atlanta to st tomas. i think the flight going was better because it was a red eye to atlanta..
maybe fiji for you>
Post # 10
Aneele – I have actally been to Maui also. The only time I’ve been there was on a cruise around all the islands. Didn’t get to snorkle the north shore of Kauai when I was there though.
Faye 0314 – Flight is a little cheaper to Riviera Maya. Although Kauai it keeps going up and down. One day I look and it’s $800.00 and the next it says $500.00. It’s a little more expensive than Mayan Riviera – but not by much if it stays at the $500.00 range.
AsianYoushi – If I had a much larger budget and didn’t have this fear of flying I would have been to Bora Bora years ago. That is my dream destination
Post # 11
Costa Rica’s flights have gone up recently but I’m thinking they’ll go down. They were $350, now they’re $5-600. But even at $600 that’s only $1200 in flights and the hotel we were going to stay at is $176 (after tax) a night. You have your own jacuzzi and shower on your own private balcony and monkeys hang in the trees surrounding you. The view from your room is of a volcano. You probably could swing that honeymoon in your price range too.
And you could totally do Bora Bora! Take a 5mg Melatonin once you get past security, you’ll be out before take-off and wake up just in time for the flight attendant to tell you everyone has already gotten off the plane and they need you to leave. You can’t be scared when you’re unconscious.
Post # 12
Costa Rica I’m sure is beautiful. I would also love to see Belize. I’m a jungle person also, but love that turquoise water as an added bonus.
If I can get use to flying and we have a much bigger budget ($4000-$5000) and ALOT of time I would like to do the Hawaii to Tahiti cruise. That way I only have to do the 8 1/2 hour flight once.