- 7 years ago
okay…so…my parents are really unhappy with our wedding plans…we planned to get married in July of next year and unfortunately they don’t feel that it’s a responsible decision due to:
1) they haven’t met my boyfriend/fiance (well, we have been going out for more than 2 years but they live all the way on the other side of the world so it’s really no one’s fault….we have plans to go meet them in October together, but work/school obligations came up for me so I had to cancel and he’s still going back to meet them – but they don’t feel like it’s enough)
2) I would be just done graduate school and won’t know if I have a job. In reality, I should be done by April of next year, which gives me ample time to secure a job before the wedding. and I will start job searching early.
My dad feels that if I’m responsible, I should wait till I have a job, then decide on getting married and decide on the date after..hence, setting a date now is simply rushing it. so…if we decide on a date after April of next year (assuming I get a job right after I finish school), then we pretty much will be looking at 2013 (summer, because we don’t wanna get married during any other season)…my dad and I got into a pretty intense argument over the phone..at the end I told him I never wanted to make them upset and this is supposed to be a happy occasion…he said yes it should be a happy occasion but he wants me to really consider and give it time..according to him, 2 years is not enough of dating…and because he hasn’t meet the guy he’s not sure how this guy is..and he started getting emotion and I could hear him tearing up…at which I just broke down because I have never ever seen/heard my dad tear up before, and I never thought that it’d be me who’s making him that upset..
at this point..i just feel really upset about it..my bf/fiance said perhaps we should consider delaying it…but that’s the last option..
i guess, my one solid question for you girls out there is…how does delaying the wedding work in terms of all the vendors?…we have already forged out a bunch of $$ booking the two venues and stuff…we really don’t want to lose all the money we already paid out…I don’t know, does anyone have any exp changing the date?
i’m so stressed…i almost feel like i can deal with all the wedding planning but i’m starting to break down dealing with my own family…