- 4 years ago
- Wedding: March 2014
Apologies for this being long, I don’t know how else to try and sum up the situation:
- I worked as a court typist until I got RSI-related issues and went on our equivalent of workers comp (I figure, anyway) last year. Work were so bad at managing things that I ended up finding a reception job within a different umbrella of the same government department on a one year contract.
- During that year I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and got really, really sick until they figured out the best way to manage my symptoms. HR at the reception job were absolutely awesome, once they had information from my doctors we ended up dropping me back to part time so I could manage. Once I got on the right medication I started getting better. I didn’t have issues with my hands throughout that entire year, no matter how bad the fibro was.
- At the end of that year I had no luck finding another job, despite sending out at least 50 applications, so I pushed to be transferred back to my old job. They had claimed I’d resigned and it got really messy but I eventually gained access to my old emails to prove I had transferred. I started working full time for the first time in nearly a year.
- Went back to my old/new typing job at the start of July. By August I was having trouble with both my fibro and my hands and at works request got my doctors involved again. Unfortunately it’s under a different HR department and they are TERRIBLE. I kept getting told one thing but nothing was done about it, they stuffed up my pay so they ended up owing me $1500, etc etc. The stress took its toll and I ended up with a major fibro flareup.
- September my hands had got so bad that I had to submit another Workcover Certificate and drop my hours back. This had the related effect of helping my fibro. But work’s insurer for Workcover refused to accept the claim straight away, and insisted on reassessing it for a reinstatement (keep in mind it had originally been approved May last year). I was still working 5 hours a week.
- I was in so much pain by late October that my GP told me I had to stop working. I soon ran out of sick leave so have been on leave without pay for almost two weeks now. I had an *independent* (but paid for by the insurer, ahem) medical examiner appointment with a rhumatologist who basically told them what they wanted to hear, that it was all the fibro (utter load of rubbish). Fortunately three days after that I had an ultrasound which showed tedonopathy and tenosynovitis which proves there’s something relating to my typing – you don’t see anything if it’s fibro! lol.
- A week after that I found out they were rejecting my claim based on the independent examiner (IME)’s reports, despite that contradicting the evidence from my GP and from the ultrasound. After a day of being consumed with rage (I’m glad guns aren’t legal here! lol) I heard back from the insurer to say they’d decided to send the ultrasound report to the IME and get a supplementary report.
- That was two weeks ago. I’m in limbo, and still in pain (which at least has lessened slightly since I stopped working, I can type this, for one! I just can’t type 7 hours a day 5 days a week) – I can barely hold a hairdryer, I can’t hold anything over about 500 grams, I can’t do twist caps, I can’t do much in the kitchen, it’s infuriating! And every day I wait for the phone to ring, because apparently the IME is taking forever to write the supplementary report.
Bees, I am just so depressed by this whole situation! Anyone who’s seen me for the past month or so can see how bad the pain is getting to me, how useless my arms are, and it’s PAINFULLY obvious that the pain in my wrists and arms is 100% related to my typing job. My GP was totally shocked when they initially rejected it, she said it’s one of the clearest cases she’s seen. I want to get paid back the thousands of dollars we are now out of pocket (between doctors appointments and lost wages) – worst possible timing with the wedding coming up and I want to get treatment (which will be paid for if the claim is approved)!!!! Ugh.
More than anything else, I just want to get back to work! If it’s approved, work have to find me suitable work to do, even if it means moving to another department. But at the moment, even though I want to come back and do something, anything, they say there’s nothing for me to do (because 100% of my job is typing and the typists don’t do any other sort of work). I’ve been stuck at home for far too long now and I’m bored and I’m miserable!
But aside from that, I know I can’t work in that job forever. So I’ve been looking at job search sites and that is what’s truly getting me depressed. I don’t want to look for full time work because I know if I do my fibro will really ramp up again. I’ve had enough bad experiences the past few years to know my health can’t cope with me working full time. I don’t want to make myself sick. But there are just so few part time jobs out there that I’m capable of doing or qualified for! I don’t have a degree (I got part way through my law degree and dropped out, long story there too but doesn’t change the fact I didn’t finish) and I can’t go back to school here in Australia without it being prohibitively expensive. Add in the fact my experience is in office-type jobs and such clashes with my hands issue right now and the fact htat most of those are full time.
I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place and i just want to cry 🙁