1) Why did you choose a destination wedding rather than at home?
My fiancé has a huge family. We were gifted money when we got engaged and had to decide on the best use of our money. With dw, we were able to have a wedding AND buy a house. Also we were able to avoid guest list drama by inviting everyone.
2) Where is your destination wedding and why?
Punta Cana… It was the most economical for our guests. (melia caribe)
3) How many guests did you invite? Are all guests coming? Did you pay anything for your guests (flights/hotel)?
We invited around 200. So far 73 have booked and we think we will end up with around 80.
4) Are you attaching a honeymoon?
We may stay a few days after but we aren’t sure yet… We may wait a few months and go to Europe in the spring.
5) Did you visit the destination/venue beforehand?
No. I’m nervous haha.
6) How did you choose a venue?
It was really overwhelming. We hired destination weddings.com and that was helpful for narrowing down. We were given pricing and researched from there. Private reception venues were important to me. Also we had a friend who had been and recommended our resort so that sold us.
7) Did you have a wedding planner? If so, what did they arrange?
Just the contact at the resort. Theyve been pretty useless so far haha. I have to be pretty annoying/demanding to get answers so far but I hear that’s normaluntil closer to the wedding.
8) Did you do anything for people who didn’t attend the wedding, i.e. friends or family who couldn’t attend? A party/reception afterwards when you got home?
No we aren’t doing anything at home. Planning one wedding is enough work.
9) What did you arrange from your home country and what did you arrange locally at the destination?
I have roughly planned everything in my head and I’m just hoping it’ll all be possible once we arethere. I think we wait until we are down there to choose flowers etc but through email I’ve been able to give ideas about what I want, choose the venues for ceremony and reception, book our pastor, book a photographer, etc.
10) Do you have any other tips?
Try to be relaxed and realize they do this all th time and it’ll all come together. I’m a huge stress case/ planner and I’ve had to really let go. I’m planning everything I want as if it’s possible ad just hoping for the best. Also, let go of your guilt!!!! I spent so much time apologizing for having a Destination Wedding and finally realized it was silly. This is what we chose for ourselves and we need to stand behind it!