- 7 years ago
- Wedding: March 2011
Let me begin by saying I decided to post here because the women on the Knot are very rude and I have received great advice from you here without even being a member. So thanks 🙂
My parents have been divorced for 26 years and my mom decided to wait until my wedding as an excuse to tell my father he should pay for my whole wedding since he “wasn’t there for me” growing up. That may be true, but he is also very supportive of my wedding and wants me to have whatever I want (within reason, of course). He basically got very upset at my mom, wrote me an $8000 check (the cost of our wedding in Santa Barbara) and said he is out of the equation as far as planning is concerned. My fiance thought we should have our recption at his parents instead of our beach wedding and save the extra money to give back to my dad once we’re done planning. We can do it for about half the price and his parents house is gorgeous, plus they already have a dancing area, bar and outdoor bathrooms.
My sister thinks I am giving up my “dream” beach wedding but I think his parents would be great fun, with no extra expenses. Does anyone have any insight? Take the $8000 and book Santa Barbara or stay in Napa and have a comfy small wedding here? Honeymoon will be in Maui regardless!!! Can’t wait for that.
Thanks ladies 🙂