Post # 1
I keep hearing the “buzz” about the new Amora Gem, but I am curious to hear some more specific details. So far, I know that it is a different type of silcon-based stone, and will be available in more “cuts”, but can anyone tell me more about it’s optical properties? Will it sparkle like moissy? or more like a diamond? What other benefits does it offer that an amora moissy doesn’t?
Any info is appreciated! Thanks!
Post # 3
I understand that it is a different type of crystal within SiC family. Amora moissanite is in the near colourless range depending on the cut (G-I). Amora H&A gem will be in the colourless range E-F and it will sparkle even more than current moissanite. All the technical specs are on BDT boards on the Amora gem thread.
I wanted to wait for it but it is uncertain whether it is going to be a year or two or five to supply to Canada. I chose ForeverBrilliant in the meantime since it was the only enhanced moissanite offered in a pear cut.
Post # 4
@Eponymous: Hi there. First, check out http://amoragems.com/
Then, read this entire thread: http://betterthandiamond.com/discussion/ubbthreads.php/topics/732073/1
That will probably answer 99% of your questions. 🙂 I think Less does an update every Friday.
Post # 5
If you go to the site theres some information on them, pick a specific cut for the most detail information =)
They are stunning! I’m on the waiting list for a cushion cut.
Post # 6
Thank you for the links!!!
Post # 7
@frogprincess: I was going to post the same two links but you beat me to it.
Post # 8
@NovaRising: Haha! Great minds think alike. 🙂
Post # 9
@frogprincess: True. I checkt btd for Less’ updates every Friday. His honesty with the public ahas won me over enough to consider the AM as a contender for my forever stone.
Post # 10
@NovaRising: For real!! I love that too. Where else do you have a company, especially a jewelry company, with that kind of personal touch? It’s awesome.
Post # 11
As others have said, the BTD site has lots of info. I’m planning on getting an Amora Gem for my engagement ring!
I’m on the waiting list for a round!
Post # 12
@Eponymous: Hi! So, a quick and dirty low-down of the AG:
– new crystal form of SiC (silicon carbide) being grown by BTD (Better Than Diamond) (current moissanite SiC cyrstals are grown by CREE Intl. and then faceted by C&C)
– this new crystal form is truly colorless (E-F range), as opposed to C&C’s moissy that in un-treated form is usually around the K-M range.
– It retains all the bi-refractive optical properties of SiC, so for comparison, it sparkles almost exactly like a moissy (only slightly more so) than a diamond
– It’s slightly tougher and harder than the currently available SiC gem from C&C, colorless, and offered in some more desireable cuts such as:
- H&A Round
- H&A Cushion
– This is the first time moissy will be available in step cuts!!!!
Post # 13
Argh! I wish this was available right now. I’ve eben reading up on it and I think I’m falling in love with the Amora Gem, like I fell in love with moissys. I just wish they would come out by October of this year in either the US or Canada.
Post # 14
@Tarheelgurl: Me too… It’s hard to choose another stone knowing I want to upgrade to the AG.