Post # 1
So Darling Husband and I have been trying to relocate to the Northeast for a while now (about 2 years). Specifically, we’re trying to move to Boston. We both love the area (I went to school there) and it is a doable driving distance to my family.
Well, Darling Husband was offered a job in Boston. It’s with a company he used to work for and really likes. The hours aren’t the greatest but those will probably change within a few months.
I’ve been looking for a job in my field for a while now and haven’t found anything yet. DH’s offered salary, while decent, also isn’t as much as I was hoping for. Basically I think it would just cover our expenses on a monthly basis. I’d be happy with the salary if I had a job lined up, but since I don’t it worries me.
What would you all do? I just worry about moving out there without having a job lined up for myself. But at the same time I’m not sure when we’ll get this opportunity again.
He has to give them an answer by Monday.
Post # 3
Is there any room for him to negotiate the salary or ask for moving expenses? If it were me I’d go. Its taken this long to get this opportunity, who knows when the next one will come along.
Post # 4
@SuperKate: Are you working right now? Would it be financially feasible for you to continue working where you are with Darling Husband goes and scopes out this new job for a couple of months to decide if it’s right for you to both move there? It would also give you time to look for a position in Boston. Do you have emergency savings for a few months of salary in case you don’t find something right away?
Post # 5
We have some savings that, combined with his salary, would probably last for 8-9 months of me out of work. Of course, I’d rather not completely drain our savings.
I do have a job now and could possibly stay behind for now, although that wouldn’t be ideal. Lots of things to think about this weekend…
Post # 6
Also, I doubt they would help much with moving expenses.
Post # 7
personally, if it were possible, i think I would let him go and start the job and you stay and work at your current job until you actually find one. I know that’s not ideal, but moving somewhere with no job offer is scary. Not to say it isn’t do-able. Darling Husband moved to Atlanta to be with me even though he didn’t have a job and it worked out, but things were super tight for a few months and we even had to live with our parents. It took him almost 3 months to find a job.
Post # 8
If you’ve been trying for 2 years, I wouldn’t let this offer go by.
Start looking immediately and would you consider a part-time job while searching for something in your field?
Boston has a high cost of living but if you can make ends meet, I’d say take the plunge and go for it. Be prepared to have your finances tight for a few months but if you can manage that, you’ll be fine.
Post # 9
If you’ve been looking to move for awhile, I would take this opportunity. He could always ask them if they would have a temp position available for you (obviously, this might not be in your field, but it is better than no income). When we moved for my job, my employer offered to help find something temporary for my husband as a sort of incentive (he ended up keeping his same job, and telecommuting).
Post # 10
Are there advancement opportunities for your husband in this new job? Is he currently employed? If so, is the Boston job better, financially and personally, for him than his current job? If it would be a job with better opportunities for your husband and there are generally a fair amount of jobs available in your field, I would go for it. If it’s not a better opportunity for him but you are just considering it for the location change, I’d be a bit more hesitant. Congrats on the opportunity!
Post # 11
I let him go and then continue to look for work while you are still working.
Post # 12
(potentially) Welcome!!! 😀
Also have him ask if the company can help with spousal relocation. Some HR depts. will do that.
Post # 13
I would go. This is where you want to be. It might be difficult at first but…it might be your only chance. It’s easier to find a job once your in the area compared to being far away. You can always take a temp job at the mall or something. I realize the logical thing might be to let him go and you follow but I wouldn’t want to do that 🙂
Post # 14
I would go and take whatever job I could get, doing whatever, until something in my field opened up. Could you do part time somewhere just to give you some extra money and then spend your days off intereviewing and searching for jobs? If you guys both want to be in that area and you have been trying for a long time then you should go for it. The opportunity might not come up again for a long time. It is going to be difficult either way for you to both have offers at the same time right now, since the job market stinks. Just go for it.
Post # 15
@SuperKate: I would suggest staying there for a while then. I made the mistake of leaving my job to move to Atlanta with no job offer in 2008 and I ended up unemployed for 2 years. PPs talk about getting an part time job not in your field, but those aren’t always easy to come by either. You do have savings, so perhaps you can set a timeline. For instance, “I’ll move to Boston with Darling Husband by November regardless of finding a position.” This way you still let Darling Husband try the job out, you have some time to find a position in Boston and you’re not losing your income and you could potentially stash a bit more away before you move.
I also like the idea of discussing spousal relocation with the new HR department.
Post # 16
Thanks for all the responses.
@mckernae: This is a better job than Darling Husband currently has. He works in the health care industry and is currently at a hospital. The job offer is at a lab that has nice bonuses and advancement opportunities.
@soyjoy222: I am definitely willing to take whatever to help make ends meet while I search for a full-time position. However, my fear is I’ll get stuck in something like that and will have a harder time finding something else the longer I’m out of my field.
I’ve also heard horror stories of people who can’t get regular part-time jobs because they’re deemed over qualified. I do have waitressing/retail experience but it’s been about 8 years.