Post # 1
I am looking for opinions. I am 36.5 weeks pregnant and have marginal placenta previa, which means I need a C-section at 38-39 weeks. This has yet to be booked. If I happen to go into labour or start bleeding, I need to go into the hospital and have a C-section ASAP.
Darling Husband has a work trip for 2 days at 38 weeks. It isn’t too far – a town 2.5 hr drive away one day and a town 5 hrs away the next day. As of right now, he is planning on going but I am nervous. Even if the section isn’t scheduled for this time, if I go into labour/start bleeding, I don’t think he can get back in time.
Wondering what others think?
Post # 3
@blondy: I would not be comfortable with this. My Darling Husband travels for work, and he has already informed his boss that he would not travel past 36 weeks. They were welcome to send him before then, or it could wait until he got back to work.
If your Darling Husband is not in a position to tell his management this, then I would make sure to have some backup, but if there is any way possible that he skip the trip, I would want him to, especially considering your Placenta Previa.
Post # 4
I would also be very uncomfortable in this situation. Is there any way for him to not travel? 2.5 & 5 hours may not sound like a big deal, but labor is very unpredictable! I think you’re right that if something happens while he’s that far away he wouldn’t make it back intime. For me it wouldn’t be just about the possibility of missing the birth, but that he would surely not be able to support you through what would likely be a scary time (since you’re scheduling a c-section)
Post # 5
Thanks for the feedback! I think Darling Husband was thinking it was ok to go as long as the C-section wasn’t booked for that time yet, but not really considering the possibility that I could still go into labour spontaneously, at which point I would likely need an emergency C-section.
Post # 6
While it isn’t ideal, I also wouldn’t tell him he can’t go.
My Darling Husband travels every week for work so I know when we are pregnant, he will be multiple states away every week. We’ll try to minimize his travelling in the later part of pregnancy as much as possible but sometime she has to be on site for things; he can’t do everything from home.
He’ll be on notice to jump on a plane immeadiately if something happens and I go into labor early. Would your DH’s boss be okay with him jumping on a plane to get home quickly if something happens in those 2 days?
Post # 7
@Mrs.KMM: thanks for your thoughts.
These towns do not have major airports, if they have flights to Toronto I doubt they would be scheduled frequently enough that the trip would be faster than driving. Also, because of my marginal placenta previa, I need to have a C-section immediately if I happen to go into labour so there isn’t much time. If I didn’t have this issue, I would feel more comfortable with the trip.
Post # 8
I think it is what you are comfortable with. My hubby is a pilot and basically we plan for him to take FMLA a few days prior to my due date but if the baby comes a week or two prior then I’ll have to call him and he’ll have to figure out how to get home. So there is a chance he’ll miss it. I’m okay with this because I’ve always known our entire relationship that this is how things would be. They just don’t give much flexibilty in his job. But if he had a job that he had some control over when he went out of town I think I’d be upset if he chose to go out of town.
does that make sense?
Post # 9
@vintage2010: I’m in the same boat as you. My Darling Husband is a pilot also. I always had the same thoughts as you- there isn’t a whole lot i’d be able to do when pregnant b/c he would be gone all the time…. until recently when I found out I was pregnant. The majority of my anxiety comes from the fear of being alone all the time (Dr appts, labor, with the newborn). I guess we’ll figure things out as it comes up but him taking FMLA a few days or week before my due date is a great idea.