- 9 years ago
Hi everyone! 🙂
I’m new to the WeddingBee & I have joined b/c I need some help… Let me explain…
My boyfriend & I have been together for a while now & we have a 6 month-old baby boy. We never really thought about getting married until a couple of months ago, for legal reasons more than anything. I’m just more practical than romantic, so this seemed the next obvious step to take in our relationship.
About a week ago or so, my boyfriend asked me to figure out what kind of engagement ring I would like to get. I fell in love with a white gold pavé setting with a halo. However, while doing research, I was shocked to see how much a nice engagement ring can cost! We do well financially, but I HATE asking him for things – it’s just not in my nature. Long story short, I was really hesitant to ask for a diamond engagement ring, even though, I know we can afford it if I really wanted it.
While doing research, though, I came across Moissanite. I found the exact same ring style for a whole lot less. Originally, I was looking at a 1/4 ct. center (H-I, SI2-I1) & 1/2 cttw. in the style mentioned above. The price tag? About $2600 (if I remember correctly). Then I looked at the Moissanite (with a color roughly equivalent to a J-K, VSI2-SI1 diamond) with a 1.0 ct. center & 1.10 cttw. for only $799. I was ecstatic! It was the gorgeous setting I loved so much with a larger stone that I could show off 🙂
I showed my boyfriend the moissanite ring (without telling him it was NOT a diamond) and he just couldn’t tell the difference from the image! But, when I told him it was a moissanite & not a diamond, he did not seem pleased…I think he wanted me to get a diamond & was prepared to spend a few thousand dollars for the ring. I just can’t do that 🙁 Now that I know moissanites exist, I cannot bring myself to spend that kind of money for one piece of jewelry when we have a child & a future to build.
So, now I want to arm myself with as much information as possible to try & convince him that a moissanite is the way to go for me. HOWEVER, before I attempt to do that, I have questions in regards to this stone & I would much prefer to obtain my answers from people who own moissanite jewelry versus a customer service rep that works for the company & will give me biased answers…This is where I turn to you guys to get some answers…So here goes:
(Please, keep in mind the company I was looking at was Moissanite.com & I have already done some research online.)
1) Do the moissanite jewelry/stones come with a warranty in writing? If so, what does it cover? Also, do they come with some form of authenticity? What about a serial number?
2) Have you compared your stone to a real diamond? If so, did they look similar? Did the moissanite look fake or too much like a CZ?
3) I know diamonds are not just pretty but their price/value go up over time & serve not only as family heirlooms but as investments as well. Is that the case with moissanite too? I ask this because this is a lab-created stone & they are mass produced…Do they appreciate or depreciate over time?
5) Is each stone unique like diamonds are or are they replicas of each other?
4) Is there anything else I should know??
Thank you VERY VERY VERY much to everyone who takes the time to read this & answer my silly questions. I really appreciate all the help I can get!!! 🙂