Post # 1
So we have been thinking about changing my 0.52 diamond with a 1 carat or just under. We went to see the jeweller at the weekend and he said he could either replace my diamond with the bigger one and use the value of my 0.52 diamond to go towards the 1 carat or we could just buy the new diamond and keep my old one.
I would love to keep my current diamond but we do have a budget. So if we traded in my current diamond we would be able to get probably slightly over 1 carat and very good quality OR a less good quality one but keep my diamond. What would you guys do?! Keep in mind my current diamond is very good quality and colour!
Post # 3
What would you do with your current diamond? If you don’t have any plans for it, trade it in. If you know what you want to do with it and you have the money to set it, keep it.
Post # 4
Trade it in… You don’t want to end up trading your new one in because it’s not glittery enough!
Post # 5
If you are not sentimental or do not have any “exciting” plans for it, and it’s a fair enough deal, trade it. I think you might miss better quality since that’s what you are used to.
Post # 6
I would keep my original stone.
Post # 8
- Wedding: January 2011 - Midland, TX
I was in a simular situation and I traded…never looked back
Post # 9
I keep changing my mind! I feel like my current diamond has sentimental value but I love that the quality is good. And I feel kind of bad trading it in when I know all the effort Fiance went to when he was picking it. But then I don’t have any plans for it when I change the diamond and would love a really good quality 1 carat.
I’m so undecisive!
Post # 10
I totally get that you’re attached to that stone, its a special thing, and carries a lot of sentimental value…but the way I explained this to Mr. 99, because he bowed his neck at the idea of trading up initially, was this:
Are we the same people that got engaged to each other with that stone, have we grown and changed and perhaps become better verisions of ourselves because of the decision we’ve made? Maybe we’ve outgrown this one, and its time to send this stone onto a new couple, starting out, moving up in their own way, and we’ll move on with ours.
I never heard another word about it after that.
Post # 11
@London_Bride: I would either save for a bit longer, or trade it in. It really depends how much you can get for it. If you can only get a couple grand for it, I would probably hold onto it and save for a bit longer. I’d feel sad having to trade in my original engagement ring diamond… so I’d want to keep it even if I didn’t wear it often.
Post # 12
@London_Bride: It really comes down to this: are you a sentimental person over “things”/belongings? If yes, and you would miss the rock you have now – keep it. If you don’t get too attached to posessions and you just like the symbolicism, then definitely trade it in for a bigger beauty.
I voted trade it in, bc I’m not too sentimental about “stuff”.
Post # 13
When we purchased my ring, it was with the knowledge that we would upgrade sometime later on. At some point, we talked about keeping the first diamond but in the end decided to trade it in. No regrets.
Post # 14
I’d keep it! its vintage 🙂
Post # 15
True, I think I might be too much of a sentimental person to let it go. I love the way Nona99 described it to her other half though! And it’s good to hear what other people have done before and their views!
I asked for FIs opinion. He said its up to me but said maybe we could ask the jeweller to show us the 1 carats we would be getting within the budget we have for if we wanted to keep this diamond (which makes me think he must want me to keep that diamond?!). If I am not happy with the diamonds we can get, then we could just trade in mine.
This sounds fair to me, that way I get to see them for myself and choose it without regretting what we do either way and seeing all the options.
Post # 16
@London_Bride: I would trade it to accommodate the budget!