(Closed) Did you get your dream ring?

posted 9 years ago in Rings
  • poll:
    Yes, I told him exactly what I wanted/We picked it together. : (221 votes)
    45 %
    Yes, I dropped hints! : (63 votes)
    13 %
    No, it was out of our budget but I got one very similar. : (43 votes)
    9 %
    No, I dropped hints but got something totally different and I love it! : (24 votes)
    5 %
    No, so I told him and we exchanged it/will exchange it. : (11 votes)
    2 %
    No, but I'm keeping it. : (20 votes)
    4 %
    The proposal was a surprise and it's exactly what I would've picked. : (51 votes)
    10 %
    The proposal was a surprise and it's not what I would've picked. : (15 votes)
    3 %
    I didn't have a 'dream ring' in mind. : (47 votes)
    9 %
  • Post # 77
    136 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

OMG why do my pictures show up HUGE? I am sorry.. does anyone know how to fix this?

Post # 78
    31 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: June 2013

The ring was a complete surprise! We had hit some really rough water in december and in Feburary he proposed with the ring of my dreams! I have always been in love with the montana yogos and I got have them now!

Post # 79
    1617 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

I didn’t really have a ‘dream’ ring.  I used to love 3 stone rings way back in the day and have since changed my taste and was unsure what I really wanted.  Anything would have been great. 

I ended up really looking at rings once we started planning and really fell in love with the halo style of rings but not all of them… I had a favorite type. LOL.

I thought it would be out of our budget so I settled for a ring I picked out that I fell in love with.  However, I found my halo ring that I loved, albeit much smaller…. in diamonds and white gold and am so excited for it to get here.  I am so anxious. I cannot believe I will have my ‘dream’ ring because I never thought I would… even though I kinda didn’t really have a dream ring to begin with. πŸ™‚

Post # 80
    305 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

Sorry for the huge photos…I picked mine out and he was more than happy to buy it! 1 carat moissanite in a white gold bezel. We added a rose gold wedding band and I am IN LOVE. I can’t tell you how much I still love it.

Post # 81
    172 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

Definitely got my dream ring – and my FI’s face lights up whenever I get compliments on it now too! πŸ™‚ 8 carat Brazilian tourmaline with baguette diamonds in platinum!

Post # 82
    21 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: September 2013

I just got engaged on Wednesday and Fiance did so well! The only clues I gave him were a store I liked and that I wanted a round cut solitaire. Turns out he picked one of my favorite rings in the entire store without even knowing!

Sorry big pic -first post… πŸ˜€

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Post # 83
    2639 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2012 - Baltimore Museum of Industry

I didn’t vote, because it didn’t start off as my dream ring, but ended up being it! We never went ring shopping- we discussed rings once about a year beforehand, and he mentioned there was a family ring. A solitaire from the 50s, set in yellow gold, and the diamond was loose and had some “war wounds” on it.

I kept looking at settings, and couldn’t find anything that worked (we had just a 6-month engagement). I was stuck on the idea of having a band as both ER/WR. and I had resigned myself to the idea that I wasn’t going to use the family ring. I was leaning towards this one from Tiffany’s:

Until I went to a local jewelry store, had a sales person who actually listened to me, and suggested an estate setting. Old setting + Old diamond =s fantastic NEW ring! We found a band from BlueNile that complements it perfectly! (And I told DH that the banded ring will make a fantastic anniversary present someday!)

Post # 84
    7384 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

@Mrs_Amanda:  Are we ring twins (though yours would be the slightly bigger version of mine, since you have 5 stones in your halo)?

I had no idea what I wanted when we started shopping. I was kind of all over the place. I found my ring and fell in loooove.

Post # 85
    74 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

My proposal was a surprise and my ring is exactly what I wanted I love it!

Post # 86
    1175 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

We didn’t pick out my ring together, but I showed him exact images from Tiffany’s and Harry Winston of what I wanted and he got it spot on. Platinum band with a solitaire emerald cut diamond (I said I wanted between 1-1.5 and it’s 1.2) and a semi-cathedral settings. I’ve always known I wanted something very classic and nothing trendy, since I will be wearing it for the rest of my life. For a bit I considered a gem stone other than a diamond, but I’m not a big saphire lover and every other stone is too soft, so that idea was thrown out. I also considered doing baguettes on each side of the center stone, but thought it would limit my choices of wedding bands. Here’s the picture of the Harry Winston emerald solitaire ring that my ring looks exactly like. Considering doing that wedding band with it.

Post # 87
    219 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

I knew what I didn’t want more than I knew what I did want. We shopped for rings together and when I tried on the ring I ended up with, we both knew 100% it was right. I’ve seen lots of rings since that I absolutely love, but no way would I ever trade mine.

Post # 88
    773 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

Yes and no (more yes than no). I don’t think I ever really had a clear vision in my head of what my dream ring would look like.  Growing up, I always thought I’d be proposed to with a typical diamond solitaire because in my young and foolish mind, I thought that’s what an engagement ring had to look like, but when I got older and realized that an engagement ring can be anything you want, I started to consider other options.  When I got engaged to my Fiance (we got engaged before he got me a ring, but that’s another long story in itself), I still figured that I’d get a diamond ring, and I do like them, but I eventually decided that I really wanted an Irish ring because my Irish heritage is very important to me.  I had in fact been wearing a plain gold Claddagh ring since I was a teenager that my father brought me back from Ireland, but that ring has been through all of my other relationships and I wanted a new one from my Fiance (instead of my father) which would be specific to our relationship.  The Claddagh ring encompases the four aspects of a relationship which I believe to be integral: friendship, loyalty, love, and unity.

I know that Irish girls can wear their Claddagh rings as both their engagement ring AND their wedding ring (you just wear it upside down on your left hand when you are engaged and flip it rightside up when you get married) but I also wanted an actual wedding band to go with it. It’s very hard to get wedding bands that will work with Claddagh rings (because of their unusual shape) so I started looking for Irish jewellers who would sell such sets that were specifically made to match and fit together. When I saw my set, I instantly fell in love with the diamond pave but I especially LOVE the sapphire heart!  Sapphire is one of my favorite gems and I’ve often wished that I had been born in September so I could wear it as my birthstone, lol but I’m getting married in September so it really couldn’t be any more perfect. πŸ™‚  I told my Fiance that these were definitely the rings I wanted and of course he got them for me, but sometimes I do wish I had let him surprise me. lol I’m really curious to know what he would have picked out on his own and I’m sure I would have loved whatever he gave me, but my set has so much personal meaning and significance that I would not trade it for any other!  I’m also kind of glad that I chose the rings myself because my set was relatively inexpensive and I think he would have bought me something much more expensive and then I’d feel too guilty to enjoy the rings.

So no, I didn’t really get my “dream ring” as such because I never really had a dream ring to begin with, but what I got was something better than I ever could have imagined and exactly what I asked my Fiance for. πŸ™‚ I can’t ask for any more than that!

Post # 89
    1022 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2019 - City, State

Mine isn’t my dream ring, just because I wanted it oval, but I love it just the same!

Post # 91
    147 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: March 2015

He picked it out but i love it!!

The topic ‘Did you get your dream ring?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors