(Closed) Did you REGRET your first look AT ALL

posted 9 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: Did you REGRET your first look AT ALL
    No, I loved it : (48 votes)
    84 %
    No but I kind of wished I left it to walking down the aisle : (1 votes)
    2 %
    Yes i regretted it : (8 votes)
    14 %
  • Post # 17
    1412 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

I don’t think we will do a first look, but I do want to do a picture where we both stand on either side of a door and reach our hands around and hold hands without seeing each other. That way we can talk a little before the ceremony, but he still gets the surprise of seeing me as I come down the aisle.

Post # 18
    9816 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper

I didn’t do any of that (courthouse wedding), but I will say this.

Men call so few of the shots in most weddings. If he really wants that moment of seeing you for the first time walking down the aisle, I wouldn’t take that away from him.

Post # 19
    1955 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2010 - Tannery Pond at the Darrow School

Mr TM was a bit resistant to the idea at first but like someone else said, once I mentioned that we’d be able to get to the entire cocktail party, that was enough to change his mind…

I loved our first look, it was really just a wonderful moment between the two of us.  For me, the walk down the aisle was actually even more emotional because I could focus on everyone that was there and just take it all in, not having to worry about my groom’s reaction…

But like others have said, you have to do what’s right for the both of you but for us, it was definitely the right decision! 

Post # 20
    1145 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

We did a first look and they are some of my favorite pictures of the day.   When it came time to walk down the aisle it was no less emotional, and my DH and I did not take our eyes off each other.

Post # 21
    10283 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2011

I regret how it worked out but I don’t regret doing it at all. My plan all along was for it to just be DH and I (well, and our photog) but our entire Bridal Party and immediate families ended up being there. DH and I still got to go off and take some pictures on our own but the whole big reveal thing was way more awkward than I would have liked it to be. This was one of the things that I wish our DOC would have coordinated differently. Afterwards I was kicking myself for not taking the reins but I had so much going through my head that it was hard to even remember to breathe correctly. I wouldn’t have changed the fact that we did a first look (I HIGHLY recommend it, actually), I just would have gone about it in a different way. 

Post # 22
    2239 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

Man, I wish some of the people who voted they do regret it would comment with why…I don’t know anyone who did it and regrets it! I loved having a first look and agree with others who have said that the walk down the aisle is no less special.

Post # 23
    7308 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

We loved our first look and the opportunity it gave us to connect in a more direct way before the craziness really began. And from a logistics point of view, we loved being able to attend our own cocktail hour and spend time with our guests. they are our absolute favorite people in the world, and we’ll take all the time with them that we can get. IMO, it’s pretty rude to guests to ditch your own party so that you can go off and take photos. They came there to be with you, so why ditch them? “Well thanks, College BFF, for using your vacation days, spending a thousand bucks, and flying across the country to see me, but I’m gonna go hang out with my photographer instead. TTFN!” I would never do that in a party that I host at my home, so I wouldn’t do it for my wedding celebration either.

Post # 24
    1445 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

View original reply
    @kate169: I agree! We plan on doing a first look so I really want to hear from people who regretted it!

Post # 25
    415 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

View original reply
    @kate169: Me too, I really want one but I’m nervous I’ll regret not having the full drama.  Do you think some people voted that, but really meant they decided not to do it in the first place?

Post # 26
    177 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: February 2012

Have you thought about doing something where you can meet up but not “see” each other.  I love photos like this!  That way maybe it will calm your nerves and that way he wont miss his moment of waiting for you to walk down the aisle.

Plus they make great photos.

Post # 27
    2280 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

It really depends on what you want as a couple. I will say I’m glad we saved our first look for the walk down the aisle! I wasn’t the least bit nervous, the timing worked out better (early afternoon wedding=crazy busy morning), and it made the ceremony that much more special. I don’t miss the handful of extra photos we would have gotten from a pre-staged first look.

As people have mentioned above, if you’re not happy with your first look, it’s probably because you weren’t 100% on board as a couple, or your photographer/DOC messed up the execution in some way and the photos or moment didn’t turn out as you wanted.

Post # 28
    3977 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

Honestly, I think the decision about a first look should be made by the guy! Seeing you walk down the aisle for the first time is really the only super special thing that a guy can “own” about a wedding. The dress decision is yours, a lot of the decor/food decisions are made either by the bride or by both of you, most of the wardrobe decision are made entirely by you, the flower decisions are usually largely made by the bride–first look is really the #1 thing that’s totally his and always talked about as being awesome.

I thought about a first look from a practical point of view but DH was realyl against it and I went along with him. His look when I was coming down the aisle was priceless, and that way it gets to be shared with everyone.

Post # 29
    2424 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

View original reply
    @KatyElle: THIS! That is how I feel. Fiance would do a first loook if I insist, but he’d rather wait until the ceremony. So we are not doing one.

Post # 30
    7294 posts
    Busy Beekeeper

had there been an option that said “no, i don’t regret it, it was okay”. i would have voted that (insteasd i voted “no i loved it).  i didn’t find it to be the most special/intimate part of the day as it went by super fast. i walked down the stairs we hugged, i cried and we moved on to do pictures everywhere. Though i also cried at various parts of the day.  so i have no regrets because i didn’t want to wait until 4pm to see DH and we got a bunch of awesome pics before the ceremony.  If the ceremony had been at like 9am, then i guess i would have made a point to wait till walking before he sees me.

Post # 31
    148 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

View original reply
    @kala_way: That’s a great point!

The topic ‘Did you REGRET your first look AT ALL’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors