(Closed) Did you/Do you plan to pay for an elective gender ultrasound?

posted 5 years ago in Pregnancy
  • poll: Elective gender ultrasound...
    I would totally pay to find out! : (38 votes)
    38 %
    You are ridiculous, wait the extra few weeks. : (53 votes)
    54 %
    I wish I had a pug. They are the cutest things ever. : (8 votes)
    8 %
  • Post # 3
    7902 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort

    I personally chose to follow my OB’s recommendation not to have elective ultrasounds. There is a medical debate over whether ultrasounds are potentially harmful to the fetus, so I would not get any more than necessary. A few more weeks is not so long. Plus, the longer you wait, the more accurate the results. How much would it suck to find out 4weeks later that your actually having a baby of the other gender?

    Post # 4
    9056 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2010

    @RahlyRah:  I’d probably wait, but it’s not standard in Canada to do an ultrasound at all until 18-20 weeks, so it’s a notion we had a long time to get used to.

    Post # 5
    306 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

    I’d wait. I didn’t get mine until the anatomy scan at 18 weeks and it didn’t bother me. We REALLY wanted to know too. However, I don’t think you can get elective ultrasounds here, or maybe you can. I never really looked into it. I also agree with mrsSonthebeach on having the least amount of ultrasounds as possible. I’ve had two and that’s all I’ll get unless it’s necessary.

    Post # 6
    2104 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

    We got a “sneak peek” at the goods at 14 weeks, but under less than ideal circumstances (major bleeding that sent me to the ER).  I was MUCH more confident when they called the gender at 20 weeks than the guessing at 14.

    I was also offered a sort of blood test (not an amnio) at 12 weeks that could have determined the gender.  I declined it at that point, but if your insurance covers lab work well, that might be an option if you’re just dying to know.

    Post # 7
    7771 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

    No way.  Waiting is worth it, IMO.  Plus, the longer you wait the more accurate, correct?  I think limiting ultrasounds is a good thing.

    I think waiting makes it better!  We are having ours at 20 weeks, per recommendation.

    Post # 8
    4275 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

    Our hospital cancelled our appointment and had nothing available for two more weeks. I was really upset so I let my mom pay for the gender ultrasound. I enjoyed it and the tech was really nice. No regrets.

    Post # 9
    36 posts
    • Wedding: March 2011

    We’re going to our private gender scan on Saturday when I’ll be 16+4, since it’s just been Christmas my husband gifted it to me- we previously lost a baby in July and we’ve been having a hard time allowing ourselves to get excited, we’ve drawn a line in the sand and said from Saturday we’ll get ourselves organised for our pink bundle!! But then I can justify just about anything!! If you can afford it and it makes you happy you don’t have to justify it- just enjoy it!! 

    Post # 10
    36 posts
    • Wedding: March 2011

    ^^^ I meant to say pink or blue!! 

    Post # 11
    281 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

    If its worth it to you and not a financial burden I say go for it, but if it were me I would wait. In fact, im pretty sure I don’t want to know the gender of my future baby until birth, but who knows that might change when im actually pregnant

    Post # 12
    5109 posts
    Bee Keeper

    I’m going to be limiting the # of ultrasounds I have, so no, I would not.

    Post # 13
    231 posts
    Helper bee

    We did it, and it was absolutely worth it.  We had it done at 15w3d.  My anatomy scan wasn’t until nearly 20w, and I would not have wanted to/ been able to wait that long.  My dr also said that there was no danger to having the extra ultrasound (I had already had an early scan at 7w5d, and my NT scan at 11w5d).  We are also planning on doing a 3D/4D ultrasound around 30w.

    Post # 14
    4583 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

    I had my anatomy scan at 18 weeks. It never really occured to me to pay to find out the gender any sooner, I was fine with waiting.

    Post # 15
    733 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

    I’d wait. Just buy unisex things for now or things a boy or girl both need

    Post # 16
    209 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2012

    We are booked in for a 20 week ultrasound in about 5 weeks so will wait for that.

    We are wanting to find out the gender so hope the baby co-operates but if for some reason it doesn’t then we will not have another ultrasound we will just have a surprise at the birth.

    The topic ‘Did you/Do you plan to pay for an elective gender ultrasound?’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors