(Closed) Did your fiance have an influence on your dress choice?

posted 7 years ago in Dress
  • poll: How much influence did your fiance have on which dress you chose?
    None : (97 votes)
    48 %
    Some : (76 votes)
    37 %
    Alot! : (17 votes)
    8 %
    We picked the dress together : (14 votes)
    7 %
  • Post # 17
    455 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2015

We shopped for the dress together.  We had talked about the dress before and knew we were on the same page.  We both just burst out in smiles when we saw THE dress.  

Post # 18
    12244 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2013

None! He wasn’t going to wear it, and he picks 90% of my clothing for special occasions!

Post # 19
    480 posts
    Helper bee

He let me know his opinions, which I took into consideration, but I ultimately chose my dress without regard to him. 

He never saw me in any dresses or heard about any shopping trips, but he did watch the occasional SYTTD episodes with me, and we would comment on dresses we liked or didn’t. When I started dress shopping, we had the same tastes… We both liked fit and flares and slim A-lines. However, when it came time for me to actually try on dresses, I fell in love with natural-waisted ball gowns. I asked him how he would feel if I wore a ball gown (without letting him know I loved the shape since he didn’t want to know a thing about the dress at all), and he said he would be disappointed that I chose to wear one even knowing that he hated them. Ho hum. I’m wearing one anyway. ๐Ÿ˜› I’m wearing the smallest version of one, but it’s still going to be way poofier than he likes. Hopefully I’m so breathtakingly beautiful that he forgets he hates the dress silhouette….

Post # 20
    2084 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

Nope, none at all. My SO said as long as you love it. So I didn’t have much to go with so I ended up with two dresses!

Post # 21
    8469 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2012

No way! He wanted to be surprised. 

Post # 22
    1299 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2015

I haven’t gone dress shopping yet, but I’m going to keep in mind things that my Fiance wouldn’t like.  I’ve asked him if he had any preferences for my dress and his answer was “see through.”  I told him not to joke because I’ve seen some dresses that are!  Even though he tells me I will look beautiful no matter what, I know that if I got anything with lots of ruffles or too much sparkle he would think it looked weird.  He likes simple, sleek things so I’ll just factor that in when making my choice. 

Post # 23
    7308 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

I got his general opinion on things ahead of time, and then showed him a photo of the dress for his specific opinion before I bought it.

Post # 24
    2890 posts
    Sugar bee

A lot. As I always second-guess myself (especially when it comes to spending more money than usual), my Fiance went with me to all my appointments and he told me his opinion with honesty everytime. When I found the dress I loved, I needed him to tell me why it was worth spending that money for ; I needed him to confirm to me that he loved the dress, that I looked good in it, that it was a good choice (it’s purple), etc. etc. I trust him completely. And if there was anything he didn,t like, or if he thought I was making a bad decision, he would have told me, just like he told me he loved the dress, that it was his favorite, that he would be proud to stand by my side all day with me in that dress, etc.  I worry a lot about what other people think about me. He did not make the decision for me ; he supported me and double-confirmed that my decision was good. 

Post # 25
    1219 posts
    Bumble bee

Don’t ask what you may not want to hear.

Post # 26
    111 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

None, but I really wish he would give me some/any input at all.

Post # 27
    1073 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

None. I mean, I wanted to wear a dress that he would like (romantic, sexy, and beautiful), but he did not have an input on the design of my dress (I had it custom-made). I wanted to surprise him, and that I did. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 28
    463 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

He hasn’t seen the dress. Won’t until the day of the wedding. I want him to be surprised.

Post # 29
    117 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

He told me he doesn’t care for mermaid/trumpet style gowns… Good thing I got a HUGE ballgown, haha! I didn’t really go for that “safe” a-line… If he decides he doesn’t like ballgowns, I just hope he’ll be smart enough to not say anything on the wedding day ๐Ÿ˜‰

Post # 30
    881 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

@vintagebride143:  I showed him TONS of online photos of stock images to gather what he did and didn’t like. He actually had some strong opinions (not too poofy, no pick ups, no feathers or similar materials) although he just expressed them as “no no thats one is weird” and I had to gather WHAT he felt was weird about it so I took those as guidelines and looked at things that he didn’t say were “weird” It worked out well because everything he didnt like I didnt want anyway so I am not sure what I would have done if he didnt like something I really liked when I tried it on. 

Post # 31
    3551 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

He had some input. Fiance requested whitish and floor length. He also shot down my number 2 pick because he hates eyelash lace ๐Ÿ˜›

The topic ‘Did your fiance have an influence on your dress choice?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors