- 6 years ago
- Wedding: May 2012
I know there are a zillion dieting books and tips out there. I wanted to share what worked for me. This isn’t nutrition advice at all, so take it with a grain of salt.
Here are my “rules”:
1) Never eat foods I don’t like. Seek out foods that are high flavor/low calorie/high protein.
2) Never eat when not hungry. When I’m feeling snacky, I chew sugarfree gum or drink diet soda (I know, I know… the nutrition thing).
3) When I think I am hungry, I drink 20 oz of water first. Sometimes that takes care of it.
4) When I eat, I eat a small portion, (like 100 – 200 calories) and then drink more water.
5) Ride the wave of appetite supression after exercise.
Ok, so in my mind each food gets a “score”. Score goes up if I really like it, it has a good nutritional profile, and it is low calorie. Some of my high score foods are nonfat unsweetened greek yogurt, canned tuna with sugar-free relish and mustard (Both because they are high protein, low calorie, and satisfying) or blue cheese (low nutrition and high calorie, but I LOVE it enough to eat it in small portions. Of course, probably most people would think these foods are nasty and would have their own high-score foods.
By eating this way I get through the day feeling generally satisfied and without overeating. I have eaten this way for about 2 years and feel it is a very sustainable way to stay thin.
Anyway, just wanted to share. What worked for you?