(Closed) Difference between MD & DO

posted 7 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
2867 posts
Sugar bee

Both are medically capable so I wouldn’t worry about that.  However, DOs are more likely to try more holistic or alternative treatments or look at treatments in a different way.  Not to say one is better over the other, but DOs are more likely to combine or associate things together than just to treat each symptom as something different.  My advice, try out one doctor and if you seem to like them, stay–if not, try another.  Not all MDs or even DOs are the same.  It takes a while to find a doctor that you feel comfortable with.

Post # 4
8085 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2010

My GP is a DO & I LOVE him, as does everyone else so it can be a bit hectic in his waiting room at times.

He doesn’t do any manipulations tho. He is a great listener & the best diagnostician I’ve ever known.

I can’t say enough good about him.  

Post # 5
57 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I”m an MD and I have lots of friends that are DOs.  The difference is that in med school, DOs learn more holistic methods of health care in addition to all the normal medical school stuff.  After med school, they usually do the same residency training as MDs.  There are a few DO residency programs, but all the DOs I know did the same residency I did.  Many the DOs that I know do not continue to do the alternative methods like manipulations. You will get the same quality of medical treatment that you will get from and MD and if they still practice manipulation, you might even get some extra options that you wouldn’t get with an MD.  (on nights when I was on call and was tired and had a headache, it was always a bonus to be on with a DO).  I would judge your DO the samw way you would an MD- do they listen to you and do you click with them.

Post # 6
1222 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

@JustlikeHeaven: BeeKiss is totally right in saying that a DO is more likely to use a holistic approach to everything they do.

My last doctor was a DO and I didn’t think she was very useful. I’d rather have a doctor who over-prescribes than doesn’t prescribe anything at all. If I had anything wrong she would like refuse to give medication. I understand that doctors are a little wary of giving medication for everything but when I ask for some damn Ibuprofen, give me some damn Ibuprofen! 

Post # 7
8085 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2010

My DO rx’s traditional meds just like any other doc.  I love him because of his skill as a diagnostician & his amazing bedside manner.  He let’s you keep your clothes on, which is a plus.

He also sits himself on a little stool, so the patient is towering over him.  I think that’s a nice touch.  He also takes his time with each patient, sometimes I wind up being the one to end the visit after I run out of stuff to tell him or questions to ask.

Post # 9
1774 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I agree with kirafiki- I am an MD, and have many MD and DO friends.  I go to one DO and one MD.  In things that require osteopathic manipulation, the DO has a huge advantage.  If not, I do not see any advantage a DO has, since any competent MD can give you all the other options a DO can. One other thing- usually it is much harder to get into MD schools.  One common thing I have heard in physician circles: there are two types of DOs- those who really wanted to be DOs and those who couldn’t get in to MD schools. 

The topic ‘Difference between MD & DO’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors