- 4 years ago
- Wedding: July 2015
We have a dilemma over here. Thoughts please!
TL:DR: We have a choice between having a very small civil ceremony in Brighton plus our main wedding at my family home in France, or the whole wedding in Brighton. Brighton is easier and cheaper for our guests. France offers more flexiblity and less cost for us.
Originally my partner and I were planning on getting married in a small civil ceremony in Brighton, England (where we met / my parents met / my Fiance was born. Plenty of significance) – with just our immediate families. Then we were going to have our “Wedding” in South France, at my parents house, and invite everyone to that. I’ve been going there every summer since I was a child and it holds a special place for me, as well as for my fiance who has been for the past three or four summers. It would also save money (no venue or catering fee), and it’s really beautiful there. Think this:
HOWEVER… This weekend we finally got round to making some plans and realised that:
1. We’d have to organise everything in French, and probably hire a wedding planner to help us out because we’ll not be there for most of the year.
2. There are only two flights a day to the area – and one of those lands at 8.30pm, so our guests would have to fly on Friday (taking a day off work and paying for a hotel for two nights).
3. The cost for each guest would be close to £300 (US$490) including travel and accommodation. Most people we know don’t have that kind of money to spend on coming to our wedding.
Sadly, our plan is now looking less likely. We want to make it easy and convenient for people to come to our wedding, particularly now when the economy isn’t great.
So we chatted just now on the phone (we’re both at work, oops!) about potentially having the WHOLE wedding near Brighton. It’s beautiful there too, and it would mean we’d be able to actually get married during the same day rather than have two parts.
1. Cheaper and more convenient for our guests
2. Ceremony and reception in the same place – won’t have to hire two photographers. All of our friends and family are more likely to come.
3. Location has special meaning to both of our families.
4. Less hassle for us!
1. Cost of venue adds another approx £4000 onto our budget.
2. Less freedom, e.g. we’ll have to vacate the venue at about 11pm and work within their schedule.
3. We’ll probably have to use their caterers – less flexible and more expensive.
If you’ve read this far – thank you! From an outside perspective, what seems to be the best thing to do? I’m leaning more towards Brighton.