(Closed) Dimensions & Mailing Cost

posted 8 years ago in Paper
Post # 3
4137 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

square envelopes always cost more. there’s a 20 cent surcharge, so the minimum would be 64 cents.

Post # 4
761 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

The square envelopes cost more because they cannot go through the same machines as regular.

Post # 5
7174 posts
Busy Beekeeper

No – your invite would cost more, because it’s square

From USPS:

http://www.usps.com/send/preparemailandpackages/measuringtips.htm

Unusual Shapes and Sizes GuidelinesOnce a piece of mail exceeds the maximum length, height or thickness of one shape, it automatically gets classified as the next largest shape. In addition, a piece of mail requires more postage when it is a certain shape or size that is difficult to process on mail sorting machines. 

The examples below could require additional postage:• Square envelopes.• Packages larger than 34 inches long, 17 inches wide or 17 inches high.• Envelopes on which the address is written parallel to the shorter edge.• Packages weighing more than 35 pounds.• Books or printed material weighing more than 25 pounds.• Tubes and rolls.

EDIT:  Something else to consider is how thick the end product will be.  I didn’t realize this until my invites were all decide upon – but if it’s more than 1/4 inch thick, it’s additional money – bows are the biggest offenders (per the many postal workers I talked to when figuring out my postage!)

The topic ‘Dimensions & Mailing Cost’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors