(Closed) Disappointed in venues response on securing a date :(

posted 9 years ago in Venue
Post # 3
10218 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2010

oh my goodness! i have never heard of a venue requiring the entire amount to secure a date! usually they require a deposit and then the remainder due before the event. i LOVE you date, 9-10-11 sooo friggin cool!

i am with you about the bright side though, your venue would be paid for and you wouldn’t have to worry about that at all!


Post # 5
1220 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

Love it.  This is so weird.  You won’t even know what the tax rate will be NEXT WEEK.  How the heck would you know what the tax rate would be in 2 years?


Yes, she sounds snobby.  Are you sure there is no other place that you would like to host it at?  This place sounds just a bit too much for 2 years out.

Post # 6
2562 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I had to pay the entire venue rental fee to book our venue. We had a 10 day hold from the day we toured it, and if they didn’t have the contract signed and deposit in hand by that day it would be opened up for other couples.

Post # 7
898 posts
Busy bee

Ouch. That’s a lot of cash to come up with. Even though your heart may be set on this venue, you’ve got a ton of time. Have you looked at any other venues? You never know, there might be something else out there that you hadn’t seen. Get a backup just in case. It doesn’t sound like this place has been very nice so far.

Post # 8
92 posts
Worker bee

This place does not sound very nice. If I read your excerpt correctly, even if you pay the full amount, the date is not reserved and the rate is not set, leaving you open to them adding whatever charges they want as their “2011” rate. If you’re not even guaranteed the date after you paid that much money, then you probably shouldn’t give them the money.

Post # 9
79 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Giving them the whole fee up front would really worry me. What if they go out of business, have a fire, renovate, or some other problem before your wedding date? Then they already have all your money and you have no recourse. And if you’re already slightly uncomfortable with their attitude, imagine how much worse it will get once they have your money! It’s a recession; they should be treating you like gold for even considering giving them your business.

Post # 10
2695 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I agree with the others maybe you should wait on this one.  I know that when we looked we couldn’t book some places for another 6 months because they don’t start booking till then for next year.  I didn’t like that because I needed to start getting other vendors booked.  I have had some vendors tell me they have to wait until they get their new rates for next year.  So that doesn’t surprise me.  I would wait to get a firm rate from them because the last thing you need is for them to sock it to you next year and your stuck because you’ve already given them lots of money.

Post # 12
2681 posts
Sugar bee

I would look around especially if you cant commit to the high deposit.  I agree it is frustrating you have to wait to book a venue, where I work we only book events 18 months out so all the 2011 brides have to wait until later to even contract.  I will say though part of the reason, for us at least, is that we contract at a certain price per person and once its contracted we can not raise that price.  So if we contracted at $60 per person now for a 2011 event and minimum wage went up, the cost of food went up, etc we would loose alot of money.  Some venues contract further out because they have it in the contract that you are just booking the space and the price can/will be discussed or changed later.  And dont feel too bad about the deposit, ours is $5000 and where I had my wedding it was $3000. 

That being said, since you have a little more than 2 years away, I would take your time and find a venue you love, can afford and are able to book the date when you are ready. 

Post # 13
44 posts

This just seems silly.    They should be thrilled to have an organized bride planning so far out !     All up front isn’t fair either !     I could see a deposit ….. then some in a year ……  but all front is too much.   I’d go elsewhere.

Post # 14
7082 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2009

Locking in early rates is great, but I really do think that this is pretty early to commit to a venue, anyway… So much can change in 2 years.  Venues change hands.  There is turnover in staff.  Your wants and desires change.  I say explore all of your options now.  Make lists, take photos, and then re-evaluate in early 2010.  You’ll still have ample time to decide, and it is really unlikely that you’ll have to compete for bookings.

Post # 15
2289 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

I’m also getting married in 2011, so I know what you mean about wanting to be prepared and stress free Smile!

Mmmmmm this seems a little….I don’t know. Judging from the vibe that you’re getting from the people at your first venue, I don’t think it would be a good fit.

I totally agree with Mrs. DG as well…so much can change in two years.

Keep us posted about Six Mile! I’m very curious to see how you like them…from what I understand, a responsive wedding coordinator is a Godsend!




The topic ‘Disappointed in venues response on securing a date :(’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors