- 2 years ago
Maybe you can offer some advice. This a more of a rant though.
I was out in the dating world for about 6 months, and it was horrible as someone with a disability (I have scoliosis, which doesn’t limit me physically, but makes me look different, I am also pretty short – 4″ 9′). My photos were not touched up, but as soon as the men would see me in the person, most lost interest. Several were interested but for various reasons I did not feel comfortable with them, and I decided to not force myself to see them again.
I am happy with my current partner overall, but he is not ready to commit after 4+ years, which hurts because it makes me think that he thinks of me as a “safety girlfriend” – if he doesn’t find something better, I’ll do. He has never said this, but it’s the most logical conclusion. He is not seeing anyone else or actively trying to, but it still hurts my pride.
Most of his spare time is spent playing strategy video games, so it could be he is just too much of a manchild to be serious about a relationship.
What can I do to present myself better? It’s not something like I can lose weight or do something else miraculous to make myself more attractive – I can’t stretch myself out and get taller.
I do makeup pretty well, dress ok, and have a caring personality.
Some ideas I had:
– Make myself more interesting by having more hobbies
– Get a hair style – this can make a drastic difference and my frizzy mess doesn’t help me look professional or attractive
– Don’t get emotionally invested in any friendship/relationship early on to prevent getting hurt, but put in effort
– Get professional makeup advice – for example, I have never been able to use eyeliner and with that as a tool I might have more success
– Just get out of the house more, meet more people, and try my best to enjoy every second of life to the fullest no matter my relationship status
Any other ideas? I do wish looks didn’t matter so much to men, but one can hardly blame them since that’s how they are wired.