Post # 1
As someone who is rather DIY and cashflow-challenged but likes the brooch bouquet and fabric flowers look, I’ve been considering buying a pre-made bouquet like this or this and then adding brooches and buttons, etc. to the flowers myself.
Is there any way this could actually work, or will there not be enough support/room for the brooches? Is there any other way in which I am setting myself up for massive disappointment? And if it could work, what would be the best way of attaching the brooches securely?
Sorry if these questions have been asked before, but I’ve done a little googling and had trouble finding an answer! Many thanks in advance for any help!
Post # 3
For reference, ideally I guess I’d like it to look something like this or this:
Post # 5
TOTALLY doable. My inspiration bouquet is actually from the DIY gallery of WB:
There are a many, MANY tips and instructions here on WB. Just do searches for brooch bouquet and fabric bouquets. One tip: Make sure the wire you buy for the “stems” of the broochers are really strong to be able to hold them up. I ended up having to double up my wire to be strong enough but could have avoided doing this if I had educated myself ahead of time. Good luck!
Post # 6
@Arrowchan: I am in the midst of creating my own now too. Basically, I am torn between making roses (from ribbons) and adding them to hydrageas and adding the brooches on top, and just using a styrafoam base… I am in the midst of trying both, will post photos when I get a chance to load them from my phone…
Post # 7
@tuesdaychild: Thanks, definitely looking forward to seeing the pics! 🙂
Post # 8
@Arrowchan: I have never made a brooch bouquet, but I want to. Anyway, here is my two cents worth: in that pic with the fabric flowers and the brooches it looks like the brooches were made first and then the fabric flowers kind of around the brooches (the brooches forming the center). I have seen on tutorials that those brooches get pretty heavy on the metal stems, it would be kinda terrifying if they were only pined to the flowers and really flopping around and generally makeing for an unstable affair.
That’s basically my concern (<— based on me actually knowing nothing about this process except being a crafty gal) Maybe you can make the brooch flowers and just put them between the fabric ones?
Someone was having issues with this last year (http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/my-diy-fabric-flowerbrooch-bouquet-fail#axzz2Q5JVrgHy ) but I didnt read the whole post…
Maybe try something with less investment before buying the kit?
Hope it works out for you!!! May the force of a hot glue gun be with you,
Post # 9
I had a brooch-real flowers bouquet but I did not DIY. However, I do have some recommendations based on my experience dealing with it all night.
1) I would definitely not adhere to just a flower. Brooches are quite heavy and any expansive motion (like if you waved your bouquet) can dislodge the brooch. My florist used floral wire as the brooch’s stem and even them, it was a bit wobbly as she didn’t triple-secure it or anything. Since you are doing fabric flowers, I would seriously consider threading a wire into the center of the flower so it looks like it’s stuck to a flower, but it’s not.
2) If you don’t plan to wear these afterwards, glue the clasp. Seriously. My florist didn’t glue the clasps because some of mine were passed down from another family member and the loop clasps on the brooches would come apart and the brooch is flapping in the breeze. This is annoying and can get painful (you can get pricked).
Post # 10
These are my trial mockups. Basically, the first one is using the styrofoam ball and some satin flowers. This is the ultimate method I have decided to use actually because it is just way easier to get the shape with this. Except that I will be changing the base to either full white satin or full ivory satin flowers, and putting in small silver roses or white roses (kind of to get the look of the second picture you have). Will be adding more brooches, I got lazy while arranging the mock. Haha!
This second one is with a hydragea base and satin ribbon flowers above it. As you can see, it is with pink and white flowers, and the pink simply doesn’t quite cut it. LOL!
And if you are interested in how it looks with plain hydragea base, here we go… I like the way it looks, but it was so hard getting it round enough, and I didn’t like the way it clanks when I shake it. But as long as you use lots of wires, there is enough staying power. I would recommend using more hydrageas as a base though. In this picture, there is only one. But I find that it sticks better when you use 3. And it helps that Michaels is having a 60% off on spring blooms.
Frankly, after all the trials, I am surprise that I am going towards the method I steer clear of from the start – the styrofoam ball. I was initially worried about the holding power of the flowers and the brooches and all that. But frankly, after making the bridesmaids bouquet, I figured, really, I think hot glue does the trick! Just in case you are wondering, this is my bridesmaid bouquet (if I don’t end up changing it… I am experimenting with composite flowers at the moment).
Let me know if you need any other help k. 🙂 And sorry for the lengthy pic intense post.
Post # 11
@tuesdaychild: FWIW -I love the first one, and the Bridesmaid or Best Man one. Great job!
Post # 12
My mother made my brooch bouquet. We followed a tutorial online and had each brooch then wrapped in wire…later found (wire pre-wrapped from Joan Fabrics)…uch esier at the end.
We used silk hydrangreas, as a filler. she made wire loops to hold it up under the ribbon around it.
I colllected brooches all last year from antique stores, goodwill online (auction in bulk), family, friends and garage sales.