- 9 years ago
- Wedding: April 2011
Although my wedding was a few months ago, I still wanted to find time to post some of the DIY stuff I had done. This community has been so helpful to me, so I’d love to be able to share even a bit back!
Knowing that I wanted a French or under bustle on my Davids Bridal T9612 beaded lace with chapel train, I set out to scouring the information on how to do it myself. I found this method: http://sewfordough.wordpress.com/2009/11/12/making-french-bustles-even-easier-than-before/ And decided that the lace overlayer should be bustled separately from the underlayer.
Here is my train extended:
As you can see, the lace extends quite a bit further than the underskirt. The trickiest part of the whole process was to figure out where to locate the bustle points… it is easiest to do this with a friend who can try pinning up the dress at different points until you get the right look. The underskirt of my dress had a seam down the centre so I chose a point along that seam to sew in the ring and the ribbon. The ribbon was a length or organza type material which blended in with the lace quite well (you can hardly see it in this picture). I created an overbustle for the underskirt since it looked best under the lace.
Bustle point tied up:
To make an under bustle for the lace layer, I first sewed another ring to the underskirt (as this is nice tough fabric). I think that ideally, bustle points should be made on seam lines as there is a bit more reinforcement there, but I felt that the bustle looked best if I underbustled it with a single point right down the centre line (where there was no seam) rather than a two point bustle along the seam lines which ran down the sides of the train. I had removed about an inch of lace from the front of the dress when I hemmed it, so I cut a small square of this, hand sewed it to the train lace, and sewed the bustle tie to this reinforced bit. I don’t have a good picture, but the reinforcement was just barely visible. The ribbon on the lace train was then tied to the second ring on the undersakirt to create my underbustle.
And here is the final result:
The bottom of the bustled dress trained by a couple of inches, and I think the dress looked perfectly lovely bustled up. The set up was so simple that I could easily instruct the photographer on how to take the bustle up and down. It held up perfectly! If you want to use this method, the picrtures and description are much clearer on the the link I posted above. Good luck, and happy bustling!