- 8 years ago
- Wedding: April 2013
I wanted to share the details of my DIY wedding flowers experience, since I got a lot of help from other bloggers on here. I wanted a lot of flowers, but I didn’t want to pay thousands of dollars. My wedding was at a vineyard and the theme was burlap and lace. I was planning on having about 80 guests, 12 guest tables, and I was budgeting about $500 for the flowers. The flowers were to go in mason jars, and I wanted each arrangement to look a little different than the rest (read: rustic and homemade). Here’s the list of what I needed:
-Bouquet of ivory roses for me (I actually made 2, just in case)
-4 bouquets of baby’s breath for bridesmaids
-5 small bouquets for mothers, grandmothers, and toss bouquet
-10 boutonnieres (lots of extras)
-15+ mason jar arrangements for tables (we had 30+… we had to borrow more jars!)
-Baby’s breath in jars and metal pails to line the aisle
Here’s what we ordered from Sam’s:
-150 yellow carnations
-90 white daisy pompons
-90 yellow disbud poms
-18 bunches of baby’s breath
-200 white roses
Grand total: $528 (with tax and free shipping)
We ordered the flowers 4 weeks in advance (max is 30 days) and had them delivered the Wednesday before my Saturday wedding. Most of the flowers did not show up online as “shipped” until about an hour before they were delivered. I had a minor freak out! Before the flowers arrived, I had added about a gallon of DIY flower food to 11 five gallon buckets. Since my wedding was in April, our garage was cool enough to store the flowers for a few days. I had my mother and grandparents there for backup.
When the flowers arrived, they were in the tiniest boxes. We quickly unpacked them, trimmed the ends and some rose petals, and stuck them in the buckets of flower food. We were expecting about 5% to be unusable; after all, they came from Florida to Rural Kentucky on a FedEx truck. Out of all of our flowers, the stem had broken off of one rose. The rest were perfectly fine. Within hours, they had opened up and were starting to look beautiful.
And they looked even better the next day!!! I had my mother and family friend help with arrangements the next day. We looked up youtube videos for how to make a bouquet and boutonniere. It took us about 7 hours to do all of the arrangements, but we were working at a leisurely pace. We filled up the jars that I had prepared, but quickly ran out. We had to raid the cabinets and borrow from my grandmother to find enough jars to use up the flowers. They were just too pretty to waste! In the end, we had jars for all of the guest tables and enough to set on the steps, in the bathroom, and everywhere else at the reception. Our guests raved about the flowers and couldn’t believe that we did it ourselves. After the ceremony, lots of people asked to take a jar of flowers home. When my husband and I came back from our honeymoon, we were surprised to find that the flowers were still looking beautiful. Some even lasted more than 3 weeks after the ceremony! Here are some of the pictures of our final products:
I hope this answers some questions! I was very happy with my Sam’s floral experience! Good luck!!!