- 7 years ago
- Wedding: February 2013
So here’s what I did with the bouquets –
First I prepared my flowers – put them all into water with flower food and use a knife and a chopping board to chop the rose stems to about 15 cm long – a bit longer than I needed but enough to get rid of some very long excess stem material.
Then I removed the excess leaf material with caution since they were pretty thorny and was able to fit them all into one vase so I could have a decent look at them and pick and choose a bit.
Then with both bouquet holders I chose roses for each. I used a ruler to measure the length of the stems to approx 6.5 cm for the smaller bouquet and about 8 cm for the larger one. I stuck them approx 3 – 3.5 cm into the flower foam – so that I had a rose in each section of the bouquet holder and each rose within a bouquet protruded out about the same amount.
Then I added Lisianthus blooms in between.
The lisianthus flowers were cheaper per bunch than the roses but the bunches came with a HEAP of unopened buds. Buds left over from my practise a week ago still haven’t opened so I’m not sure they will.
In hindsight rather than pre-ordering it would have been better to go somewhere which keeps a much larger stock of fresh flowers so I could select them on the day. That way I wouldn’t be paying for excess buds.
I did also use some buds in the bouquets which I put in small gaps left after using all of the lisianthus blooms. Adding the lisianthus was probably the most time consuming part of the whole thing because they are quite soft flowers and I ended up squishing a lot in to fill the space. If I had just used roses alone I think I could have halved my working time.
I could have cut costs and saved time by choosing not to have a white only bouquet too – I could use older, more open flowers since the imperfections would not be obvious. More open flowers = fewer flowers to fill the bouquets.
Then I softened it all with some gypsophilia scattered throughout with extra around the base of the bouquet. The picture below shows the bouquet on the left complete
after gypsophilia and the one on the right before gypsophilia.
For the mens pins I used for jewellery findings I had – broach pins and covered them with the white and silver edged ribbon adhered with craft glue. Then I used lisianthus buds which I didn’t bother wiring after all with a medium sized lisianthus leaf backing and some gypsophila between them taped together with green floristry ttape. I used craft glue and some very thin silver curling ribbon to adhere them to the broach pins.
The most difficult thing was the flower girls’s corsage. It would have been easier with lage open, flat flowers. I didn’t really have anything like that though.
I had pre-prepared the robbon – you can buy corsage elastics but since she’s not quite two I thought something adult sized had no way of fitting her. I used the white and silver edged ribbon again to make something that could be tied onto her wrist.
I glued the transparent silver edged one on top of the white one for the long backing piece – putting the glue under the silver edge only so it didn’t look messy through the transparent middle section. I also glued the cut edges so they they were folded in at the ends to give it a more finished look.
Then I covered a small circular piece (used a small glass to trace the shape) of cardboard with the white ribbon and glued that in the centre.
With the silver edged ribbon I used a piece of cardboard to wrap loops of a set size. I glued the loops down onto the circular backing one at a time until I had made sort of a rosette I could put the flowers onto.
I wired one lisianthus bloom (my last one) and two lisanthus buds by putting one piece of wire through the base of the buds and bending it at 90 degrees each side to line up with the direction of the stem with pliers.
Then I twisted the wires around each other with one pair of pliers while holding the wires and stem still at the flower base with another pair of flowers. I found this was the easiest way to avoid damaging the flower when trying to twist the wires together.
I cut the wires to the length I wanted – not too long for this – and wrapped them from the flower base to the end of the wires and back again with green floristry tape.
Then I tied them all together with some gypsophilia with the thin silver curling ribbon and glued them to the centre of the ribbon rosette. I can sing enough praise for craft glue – it held beautifully!
Unfortunately i haven’t got a picture of the finished product jsut yet – it looked quite nice – I think I did have to trim the stem lengths a little more than in the pic above and fold them back. I will add a pic of it finished if I get any where the flower girl stood still enough!
With the left over roses I wired and wrapped the stems to use them in my hair. I wasn’t sure of what length of stem was best for the hairdresser to work with so I made a variety – I’m still not really sure. Might be best to ask your hairdresser if you plan to do this for your hair.
We kept everything in the fridge overnight and only took it out at the last minute.
The flowers worked well – they were in keeping with our garden style wedding. Having a flower boy and girl as young as we did meant we really didn’t see much of them in position during the ceremony but hopefully when our photographer gets back to us we’ll have at least one of each of them – probably not at the same time 🙂