- 6 years ago
- Wedding: September 2013
I went back and forth on the pros and cons of postcards versus something in an envelope and deided that for the Save the Dates, the postcards weren’t worth the cost difference to me. Bridal Bargains went on and on about saving lots of money using postcards whenever possible…but when I sat down and calculated my savings…lets just say the only savings was the postage itself and it didn’t amount to much for a smaller wedding (64-88 people). Plus for postcards I’d have to do a lot more work because I didn’t like any of the free templates I found online for postcards. I found a Save the Date I liked on Wedding Chicks but when I printed it on card stock…it seemed too flimsy…I needed something to give it more weight. The card stock used was $12.99 full price (so 40% off that) at Michael’sfor 100 sheets, I plan on using it for the invites too. It has a lovely subtle sheen to it that I can’t quite capture well in photos. I started researching making it into a magnet and someone on the forums suggested I go to Michael’s craft store with one of those coupons I love and get their adhesive magnets. It was $9.99 full price and with my coupons it was $6 a piece. I bought 4 rolls total…but only 3 of the 4 rolls were used in the final invites. I messed up the first batch with my terrible cutting skills before the Fiance took over. Pretty much I printed out 4 cards to a page on the card stock, and when we cut them we made sure we didn’t cut right to the edge. When we cut the magnets we made sure they were slightly larger than the final cut size of the card. This allowed us to have nice even edges on all sides of the magnet (i.e. no sides where the card overhangs farther than the magnet).
Next the envelopes, we were torn between some ones that had a square flap (with a self adhesive strip) and some triangle flap ones (that need to be moistened to be sealed). We opted for the triangle ones ($7.48) with a moistener ($1.88). I fell in love with the idea of doing a liner from the instructions here. The wrapping paper is $2.99 full price at Michael’s (so with a coupon 40% less).
Now that I had my envelopes all settled I could determine the size of the boarder around the magnet. I had to make sure that the boarder didn’t make the Save the Date too large for the envelope. The paper that matched them best for a boarder was a posterboard I found at AC Moore. Total we bought 3, full price was $2.99 each but we used half off coupons. The corner stamp I bought off Amazon (at the time of purchase it was about $10 but I’ve seen it as low as $6.74)
For the final touches I ordered the white rose stamps from the post office ($9 for a sheet of 20), some return address labels from Vistaprint (with shipping $11.91 for 140), and a matching blue colored gel pen (under $2). We wanted everyone to know our web site so we printed out a QR Code that links to the web site, and for those that wouldn’t recognize what the QR code was for, we listed the web site adress too. It was printed on plain printer paper and glued to the back. Throughout the whole process I kept a close watch on the weight, 1 stamp allows you up to 1 oz in weight. I’m at 0.8 oz. We also made sure the Save the Date could stay on the fridge with both the border and web address on the back. It holds on fine with both but if our guests are going to use the magnet to hold up other items they’ll just need to pop it out of the border.
So these aren’t going to be the nicest DIY Save the Dates you’ll see today, and they’re certainly not archival quality. But I’m pretty darn happy with them. The total cost to make over 50 invites (plus a pile of failures that I didn’t cut well) was $55 (that includes re-usable materials like my leftover envelopes and half the cost of the items I’m also using in the regular invites).