(Closed) DIY Photobooth outdated for 2010 wedding?

posted 9 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 3
64 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

If you like the photobooth, then I say go for it.  No one – but other recent brides or engaged girls – will know that it’s a wedding trend.  I’ve seen photobooths all over the internet but never at an actual wedding, so I think it’ll be cool for your guests. 

I guess when you think about it, everything’s a “fad” so you just have to go with what you like. 

Post # 4
385 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

Wedding “fads” have always bothered me.  A lot of us only get one wedding, so we should do what we want with it.  The guests will seriously have no idea that it is a fad unless they go to 10 plus weddings each year.  If you think the guests will like it, then go for it.  It is hard for something to be overdone when the average person probably goes to less than 2 weddings a year

Post # 5
541 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

If you still like the idea, I say go for it. Like you said, guests don’t troll blogs like we do. I’ve never been to a wedding that had photobooths. I think it will be a pleasant surprise for most people.

I was this way with the Candy Buffet idea. At first, I loved the idea but grew tired of it after seeing it everywhere on the internet. I recently read a post somewhere about how wedding vendors / bakers are saying that cupcakes are a tired wedding trend. So over. I don’t care! I’m still doing cupcakes Laughing

Post # 6
45 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 1969

Do it!  I wouldn’t think of it really as a fad so much as another fun way of doing a guestbook and/or trying to get photos of all your guests.  We called ours a “photo guestbook” and provided a photo album with lines for people to write a message next to the photo sleeve. And the props/background you provide will put your own personal touch on it as well (one of the plants we were using as decor/favors ended up in a huge number of photos, which was unexpected and fun for me to see afterward!)

Instead of polaroid film, we set up my digital camera on a tripod, connected to a compact photo printer (we used the Canon SELPHY CP760, which is cheap and allowed us to automatically print 2 identical photos per sheet).  We ended up with a lot of fun photos (especially nice right after the wedding since we don’t have all our pro photos yet!), and it kept the kids busy and entertained as well.

If you’re curious, our photos are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/gluttonomics/sets/72157622181781384/

Post # 7
57 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

I don’t think its too much of a fad – at least I hope not! I want to do one at my Jan 2011 wedding. I think as long as you do something fun and different it will not seem outdated. Different props, an interesting background, something along those lines.

Post # 8
56 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

If you want it, do it.  Don’t worry about your guests think.  This is a wedding to make you and your Fiance happy, not your guests.  Your guests are lucky that they get to be there to celebrate with you.

I say go for it.  I’m planning on having one for my Jan 2010 wedding and renting a camera with a remote Smile

Happy Planning!

Post # 9
17 posts
Newbee

Go for it. Like the others have said, not many people go on wedding blogs etc so it will be new to them. In the UK it’s just taking off, although I have never seen it at a wedding, so I’m sure it will still be rockin in 2010!

Post # 10
2695 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I have been to 3 weddings this year and haven’t seen the photobooth.  So I’m thinking you might be right aobut not everyone still seeing it. If you want to do it then go for it.

Post # 11
385 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I’m doing one for my wedding in May 2010!  I’ve never actually seen one at a wedding before, so I’m 100% not worried about it being “overdone.” 

Someone linked to this guys website, and I’m going to use this to set up my photobooth without Polaroids.  I loved that idea too, but just couldn’t justify the expense, especially when I already have everything to do this other type of photobooth. 

Good luck!

Post # 12
369 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I’ve hired a photobooth for my May 2010 wedding and I think most of the people there will have never seen one.  I’ve gone to a couple weddings this year that didn’t have it.  I think even though it’s really cool and popular on sites like this and others, most people haven’t actually encountered it before.

I think you’re probably safe in doing so and not having anyone thinking you’re “outdated” in trends.

Post # 14
377 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I second what everyone else has said and wanted to add, the nice thing about a DIY booth is that you can ‘update’ it however you wish! Just grab some new and funky props that you’ve never seen used before, and voila! (Although I second everyone who said most guests will never have seen one anyways!)

If you’re looking at taking things in a new direction, how about a funny theme? Put up a sign that says “Love Safari” and have stuffed ‘jungle’ animals, binoculars, hats, etc. Or do a “Love Is Out Of This World” theme with space decor – you can go as crazy as you want with it!

Post # 15
173 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

I don’t think that it’s a fad at all.  Photobooths have only recenty become widely availabe to rent for events.  Look at it as being modern.

Post # 16
Hostess
4667 posts
Honey bee

personally i think that’s an awesome idea…as much as people talk about doing it, like other Bees have said, the common-folk don’t typically go to a lot of weddings so they don’t see them that often!

The topic ‘DIY Photobooth outdated for 2010 wedding?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors